How long does rock shed?

siskiou

I've had some live rock in my 40G since spring (it's now in the 120G) and even though I blow the gunk out with an MJ1200, it still sheds a bunch of gunk each and every time.

I want to wait before putting sand in until the rock is pretty much done shedding, but at this rate the tank will be bare bottom for years! (scratch)

Maybe the Tunze I just added will take care of that little problem?

Though I'm not sure where all that detritus is coming from, if it's not the rock shedding.

Apart from a few snails, there is nothing living in the tank currently, and I'm not feeding it.

Snail poop?

Maybe the Tunze I just added will take care of that little problem?

Though I'm not sure where all that detritus is coming from, if it's not the rock shedding.

Apart from a few snails, there is nothing living in the tank currently, and I'm not feeding it.

Snail poop?

wow nobody livin in there and still all that duff.....maybe get a bucket of water and take each rock out and plunge it up and down with twisting motion to give them a good cleanin....i dunno

I did that twice already, once when I took the rock out of the 40G and transferred it to a rubbermaid tub for a few weeks, and then again before putting it into the 120G.

It was uncured rock when I got it.

Ammo and trits are undetectable and trates are >10, so I don't think there is still die-off going on.

rinse the sand very well and then use a measuring cup or something like that and lower each scoop into the tank to the bottom then gently turn it over......pvc may work if you can get it to go down slow enough.....if the sand is rinsed VERY well and is wet when you put it in it will help reduce the sandstorm effect