Need more than "IMO"

CCR

I'm setting up the 72 to hold my corals while I change tanks, It will only have corals, no fish, but all hard corals from 150 in it, 30 gal sump with 1or 2 live rock, skimmer, ca reactor. eggcrate in tank, BB,, so. How long should I, or do i, have to age before adding coral. NEED EXPERIENCED answers please.

Guest Mbeef61

i just did the same thing...had all corals in my 90 while i changed my 135 to 100...i changed out 90percent of my sand with new and brought 10percent over to seed it. i kept like 75percent of the water out of the 90 to add to the new tank and added 25percent new so it was only really like a water change to them...i didnt age it at all just switched everything right in...everything has been doing great for like 3 months now. now nitrates or any spikes at all....i think you can usually switch things over fairly quickly granted its done right....keep most the water they are in...and keep everything clean and fast...i dont even think they knew they went through anything to be honest.

i think the addition of live rock will be more benficial than adding aged water. what benefit does aged water have over fresh new salt water? the live rock and the addition of the skimmer will provide your filtration, and new saltwater will still have all the minerals and additives that used saltwater may be lacking, it may even contain nitrate. either way, used saltwater or new saltwater, with what youre doing, i dont think there is need to let anything "age". your liverock and the rocks the corals are on, will help break down any organic contaminants (ammonia, nitrite), and periodic, if not infrequent, water changes will help dillute any nitrate; which will be next to nothing due to the extremely low bioload.

i think the addition of live rock will be more benficial than adding aged water. what benefit does aged water have over fresh new salt water? the live rock and the addition of the skimmer will provide your filtration' date=' and new saltwater will still have all the minerals and additives that used saltwater may be lacking, it may even contain nitrate. either way, used saltwater or new saltwater, with what youre doing, i dont think there is need to let anything "age". your liverock and the rocks the corals are on, will help break down any organic contaminants (ammonia, nitrite), and periodic, if not infrequent, water changes will help dillute any nitrate; which will be next to nothing due to the extremely low bioload.[/quote']

The purpose of it isnt so much "aged" saltwater as it is to reduce the shock to the corals of moving them to a new system and keep them in water with familiar bacteria, reduce the amount of changes going on around them all at once.

As well, if you are NOT adding a bunch of fish (or hopefully ANY fish) to this holding tank, and the intention is to only keep them in this holding tank for a few weeks or so, no rock is really necessary for biological filtration as the water already has bacteria in it and will support just the corals fine without the rock, as well as any waste that needs rpocessed will be next to nothing. Id run a skimmer and do a very small water chang every week and simply keep the calcium and alk where it needs to be.

If I do my new tank I plan to run a small pump in both tanks at the same volume to have the water basically seem to be the same system. No shock that way and just switch everything after a few days of running that way. (They will be fairly close so its no big deal)

If you age the water then switch, I would think youd still need to let the corals adjust to even the small differences that arent just ph/alk/ca etc etc. Heck, just doing a waterchange with the basic same tested values makes my skimmer act totally different so Im sure a whole tank thats new water, no matter if its a week old will still be somewhat different. At least thats my stupid theory of it. lol