Mogul Glass Cover ?

Algae

Mogul Glass Cover ?  

1. 1.

• Use glass cover.
    • Don't need no stinking cover!
    • I'm in the 21st. Century and need to glass on my DE.
    • I use T5, VHO's and have no idea why I am reading this?

I was chatting with George Webber (Geo Reef) last week and he told me an inteersting story. He was lifting one of his clams out of its display when it decided to "spit" and hit one of his mogul bulbs. It made a pretty dramatic little explosion.

Here is the Question: Do you use a glass cover over your mogul bulbs?

I use them when I dont' mind them blocking some of the light or when the fixtures are fairly close to the water. I don't use them when I want completely unobstructed light or when my fixture is up fairly high above the water. I also sometimes run the shields during colder times of the year and take them off during the warmer summer months to allow for a bit better ventilation. On the DE fixtures, you always almost have to use the glass shields because they provide a UV shield that isn't provided by the DE bulbs and almost always is by the SE bulbs.

i use SE and DE bulbs and like garret said you MUST have a glass shield over the de bulb because of the UV radiation. Not to mention i would really hate to accidentally touch the arc tube of a running DE bulb, it's bad enough when i touch the glass shield of a SE bulb. As for the SE bulbs i dont use a cover and have them about 6" from the surface of the water.