wireless router

reef165

it is....don't worry about torrents...no offense but if you dont know what they are then it might be safer to keep it that way....again...no offense. When you get into torrents you are going to want to keep your Antivirus up to date and depending on what one you are using you may want to replace it. Torrents + inexperience=disaster

Netgear is decent....bout the same as Dlink. I tend to prefer the linksys as they work hand and hand with Cisco which is the only name that matters when pertaining to switches and routers.

All three brands share the same exact hardware in many cases. Really depends on the model number we are talking about. The main differences lie in the firmware and antenna design.

I agree regarding the Cisco and their superior business-line products. However, IME their home-line products do not share this level of excellence.

I used to like the Lynksys, but since Cisco bought them, they introduced their typical proprietary tactics. For example, most current Linksys routers will not support a PPTP connection to a work place. That probably won't be an issue for most, but for some it would be. They also have internal antennas, which have terrible range and suffer from crosstalk.

Have you ever tried DD-WRT? I found it to be a superior fimrware and use that instead of OEM firmware on my routers. It's very customizable and has tons of features. I also find it more stable in most cases.

reef165, I agree with CA2OR and Twitterbait. That Netgear will work out great for your needs. And don't mind us, we're just talking technical stuff. Geek speak, as my friends call it. (laugh)

.....I agree regarding the Cisco and their superior business-line products. However, IME their home-line products do not share this level of excellence.

This has been my experience, best router I ever had was a Cisco that was on lease, worse was a Linksys. (2 actually as the first failed within a short time and after I warranteed it the second failed)