Red Sea 34 gallon Cube Nano Tank

SeanF

Has anyone heard about the new Red Sea Cube nano tanks yet. I just saw some info on them today and it looks like it is going to be a pretty sweet setup. The only draw back is going to be the price. They have a nice skimmer built into the back of the thing. They are using t5 lighting in it with a built in timer. It actually has a heater built in also. Basically it is a more well thought out version of the nano tanks that are on the market right now. They even thought to put a power panel in the unit so you just have to plug in one plug I believe.

I see a few problems. First most reefers (including myself) are equipment junkies. We take pride in our selection of equipment, and overall system engineering. What are we going to do with a plug and play system?

I can only come up with one concusion,,, CAN YOU IMAGINE THE MODS PEEPS GONNA DO ?!

really though most (unknowing) people get into a nano because they think its going to be cheap. Hitting them upfront with a $600 (or whatever I have no idea) price tank is going to be tough.

I doubt they will fly out the door.

Anyway, I think its cool, and maybe with a sweet demo style setup people would be interested in it, but i feel like most people are either:

fanatical and want to do there *own* system or

not willing to pay that price.

we shall see! Plus, Id rather have a halide......

this is a great setup for people who started out wit h nanocubes and aquapods and want a more complete package but still want the clean look that the all in ones offer.......lots of people put these style cubes in offices and in apartments where space and landlords is an issue.....i should know....just had a total complex walk thru with a new owner and she freaked when she saw one 25 gallon FW running and 4 additional tanks in my garage! lol

The average price on these things will probably be about $750. I know ouch. I told my supplier that they would probably be a little cost prohibitive for most people. It will definately be a hard sell. We will probably be special ordering them for people for about $600. Hopefully the price estimates will come down a little once my wholesaler actually recieves them. I will let everyone know.

its not pc brownies....its a t-5 setup

the red sea site says "2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts (1 watt/liter)" (http://www.redseafish.com/Max.asp)

and is shows a pic of two PC bulbs, PC's are just T5's bent in half.

T5 is just a tube diameter measure, like standard 48" 40 watt bulbs are T12 and 48" 110 watt VHO's are T12 as well. Hasn't the term "T5" just become a marketing device anyway? just like "daylight" and "reef lighting"

I still say MH would be better, maybe a 150 watt HQI

I would never buy one based on the fact that there is a prism skimmer in there (or what appears to be). IMO those things are worse than not having a skimmer. Possibly a decent system for a beginer that would be like a plug and play system......but is a nano really for your AVERAGE beginer??just my opinion.

-Ron