Electrical question

reef165

electricity is neither created or destroyed in a transformer. It either steps voltage up and lowers amperage or lowers voltage but uses more amperage. Both are directly tied to your electrical bill and are the same.

I'm not 100% sure but I would think you would have some losses thru a transformer. It creates heat, and that takes energy to do so.

All I know is that I have an outside light that has 2 12V/100watt bulbs that have burnt out so that's why I found that they are so much wattage. I was just making sure that I was thinking right about the cost being the same to run either way because instead of replacing the bulbs, I am going to replace the entire thing! more efficient bulbs ( since it is dark now for over 14 hours a day). Save the energy that could be used on the tank!:)

I'm not 100% sure but I would think you would have some losses thru a transformer. It creates heat' date=' and that takes energy to do so.[/quote']

Correct, if it's creating heat then some energy is lost there, granted as was mentioned already it would be a very small amount.