Coralline algae basics

tidalsculpin

Thanks for all the info on sumps and flow. I have a coralline algae question. My tank is approaching four months of age and I am seeing rapid coralline growth on the acrylic. What is interesting to me is the pattern. Does any one know how they reproduce and why they appear to be covering powerheads and high flow areas faster?

I assume good flow, strong lighting, higher calcium levels, and frequent water changes are part of why my algae is taking off but don't know for sure. What do you people know about this?

It has oserved for many years now that coralline algae seems to grow very well on plastic.QUOTE]

Thats why I like GLASS tanks!

Coralline also doesnt like super high light. you will find it often grows on sides of rocks etc rather than on the tops of them. I dont expect to get any coralline in my prop tank under the dual 1000w, just too much light for it!

good cal,alk,ph and the fact that all of these are stable in your system is a good sign your tank is on track there are many diffrent types that like low light to high light and some that like no light at all they defenatly like flow so keep up the good work sounds like your moving along nicely.

It has oserved for many years now that coralline algae seems to grow very well on plastic.QUOTE]

Thats why I like GLASS tanks!

Coralline also doesnt like super high light. you will find it often grows on sides of rocks etc rather than on the tops of them. I dont expect to get any coralline in my prop tank under the dual 1000w, just too much light for it!

hmm.. i find mine grows alot better under direct lighting. my caves and stuff have hardly any corraline. although i will say, most of the corraline i do have on tops of rocks is that plating kind. i have tons of that stuff.

It seems like coralline does best under fluorescent lighting, especially actinics. When I started my first reef tank in the 1980s, I used only N.O. fluorescents, but did not have any significant coralline algae growth until I started using Actinic 03 tubes and kalkwasser. Back then, no stores sold them, and you had to special order them through a Philips Lighting Wholesaler!They seemed very puzzled when I told them I was using them for aquariums. (laugh)

Dippin' date=', depends on what you have for lights, im talking under overdriven 400w halides or at least 400w. In my frag tank with 1000w i dont think there is a spot of coralline anywhere.[/quote']

true joel.. i was just giving my experiences. Like you said though, under more light i wouldnt know, im only running 1 250w hammie 14k with 110w 50/50 vho and a 110w super actinic vho. wish i woulda gone with the dual 250w pfo instead of the single.. anyone wanna do a trade in? :p

oh.. and also.. ive been following those japanese tank threads over at RC.. talk about tanks with no corraline.. sheesh. alot of light, and lower CA then most people use, and he can go 2 weeks without scraping his glass at all. and has hardly any corraline what so ever.

During those recent couple of sunny Fall days, the sun's low angle allowed sunlight to catch one corner of my tank for a couple of hours each day -- coralline growth went nuts where the sunlight fell. Not sure exactly what conclusions to draw from that, but it sure did point out how anemic our fancy metal halide lighting systems are when compared to the real thing ;)

yea unfortunatly metal halides in 55-65k range produce the most sunlight type light but just dosnt look good to us the coraline likes it as well and corals actualy get better growth under 65k halide bulbs i use these on my growout tanks in the past just dont look good lol but you get twice the growth most large aqua culture faciltys use green houses with back up haldes in 65k range on non sunny days.