How to reduce Nitrate in the long run?

Mandinga

Water changes using RO/DI water

Reduce Feeding

Carbon Dosing

Purigen

Nitrate Reactor

Reduce Bioload

I've done all of the above except the nitrate reactor and reducing the bioload which is what I'm working on doing now. So far Purigen had the greatest impact. Just needs to be placed into a high flow area and then regenerated when it turns brown. (Soak in 1:1 mixture of bleach/water for a day and then soaked for a day with water treated to remove the chlorine)

Water changes using RO/DI water

Reduce Feeding

Carbon Dosing

Purigen

Nitrate Reactor

Reduce Bioload

I've done all of the above except the nitrate reactor and reducing the bioload which is what I'm working on doing now. So far Purigen had the greatest impact. Just needs to be placed into a high flow area and then regenerated when it turns brown. (Soak in 1:1 mixture of bleach/water for a day and then soaked for a day with water treated to remove the chlorine)

+1 for purigen to remove organics not reduce Nitrate and Phosban Reactor for Phospahte reduction!!

I use both those methods- No3 @ less than .01 and PO4 at less than .02

good luck!

I tried many many things. Like everything you can think of.

Sugar was the easy anwser. One packet every few days, nitrate stays at zero. I did have to work up to that dose, but no looking back.

I used to run a refugium, do 30% weekly water changes, have a skimmer, have a nitrate media reactor, etc. Sugar works better, and is so much easier IMO

HTH

I tried many many things. Like everything you can think of.

Sugar was the easy anwser. One packet every few days, nitrate stays at zero. I did have to work up to that dose, but no looking back.

I used to run a refugium, do 30% weekly water changes, have a skimmer, have a nitrate media reactor, etc. Sugar works better, and is so much easier IMO

HTH

Out of curiousity, what is your water volume.

Nobody has mentioned increasing anaerobic areas where nitrates can be converted to N2 gas, such as more live rock, or a deep sand bed. Depending on your existing flow, more flow over your existing live rock may help, too. My DSB took a few months to start really working, but once it did, my nitrates dropped to zero (okay, undetectable) and have stayed there for over 2 years. (clap)(clap)

But... those things won't help your phosphates much. I use large quantities of macro for that.

Nobody has mentioned increasing anaerobic areas where nitrates can be converted to N2 gas, such as more live rock, or a deep sand bed. Depending on your existing flow, more flow over your existing live rock may help, too. My DSB took a few months to start really working, but once it did, my nitrates dropped to zero (okay, undetectable) and have stayed there for over 2 years. (clap)(clap)

But... those things won't help your phosphates much. I use large quantities of macro for that.

How deep is your sand bed?

Remove everything living and replace it all with colored glass pebbles and a plastic shipwreck and a treasure chest that opens closes with an air pump? :D

If the ship is painted with a lead based paint will that have ill effects on overall water quality??

How deep is your sand bed?

It varies quite a bit, but 3-5" in most places. I have a mix of different sizes, but none as large as crushed coral - it is mostly a size or two up from sugar size.

When I first bought the tank used, it had been a FOWLR and had really, really high nitrates. Unfortunately, I did not realize this (being a complete noob) until after I had moved it to my house, including most of the original water. It took me a number of water changes just to get it down into the 10-20 range (by my calculations, it must have been over 600 when it was at the guy's house - off the charts on my test kits). Then, it stayed down in the 10-20 range for a few months. One day I started to notice a lot of bubbles coming up from the sand bed. Not a steady stream, just a couple of small bubbles here and there, and a bunch if I reached in and stirred the sand a bit. Soon I was regularly testing 0 PPM, and I have never had it read over about 1 or 2 in over a year and a half since then. Now that there is minimal staying in the system, I only see bubbles coming up from the sand occasionally.

It varies quite a bit, but 3-5" in most places. I have a mix of different sizes, but none as large as crushed coral - it is mostly a size or two up from sugar size.

When I first bought the tank used, it had been a FOWLR and had really, really high nitrates. Unfortunately, I did not realize this (being a complete noob) until after I had moved it to my house, including most of the original water. It took me a number of water changes just to get it down into the 10-20 range (by my calculations, it must have been over 600 when it was at the guy's house - off the charts on my test kits). Then, it stayed down in the 10-20 range for a few months. One day I started to notice a lot of bubbles coming up from the sand bed. Not a steady stream, just a couple of small bubbles here and there, and a bunch if I reached in and stirred the sand a bit. Soon I was regularly testing 0 PPM, and I have never had it read over about 1 or 2 in over a year and a half since then. Now that there is minimal staying in the system, I only see bubbles coming up from the sand occasionally.

Thanks, I'm around 3 to 4 inches now. Might go ahead and add another inch. In my sump I have around 6 to 8 inches. Ideally I would like to have the DSB keeping nitrates down.

You may already have lots of life in yours, but one of the things I did was get scoops of live sand from a few different, established sources. My limited research on the subject indicated that some of the worms and other organisms in the wild sand substrate are largely responsible for constantly refreshing the interface between the water column, the thin aerobic sand layer, and the deeper anaerobic zones. So, getting a wide variety of critters in there may help things along.