Hate my sump....

CA2OR

I am so tired of dealing with one issue after the other here. Let me explain the problem. I got this tank and sump as a set. It worked great for the guy who owned it, but I added a UV sterilizer that runs off it's own pump. Well that made the water in the sump run faster, obviously, which in turn makes the water pour in faster. Now I get crazy gurgling and a rediculous amount of microbubbles in my tank. What can I do? I have already added a second wall in the chamber where the return pulls from in an attempt to eliminate the bubbles as well as added a "slide" for the water to run down instead of splashing into there.

Is ther UV sterilizer inline with the sump return? Can you cut it down to one pump? Might need to draw a picture of your current setup and then rethink the entire thing and rework it. Just depends on what you have now. (What you posted is to vague to determine the solution)

No uv is not inline with return. But it does pull from the same chamber. I will try and figure out a way to describe my set up.
So are both the sump return and the UV returning into the tank from the sump? If so then I think I would change the UV so it pulls from one side of the sump and then returns back into the other side of it rather than returning both to the tank.

I ran a UV sterilizer AND a Phosban 150 reactor (both on their own pumps) in there Eric. After I figured out how to slow the water down falling into the last chamber, (PM's) I had no micro bubbles and I couldn't hear the water at all. I don't know what you could be doing so different than me to have so many problems. Try putting the hose from the UV into the last chamber and exiting into a foam sponge or filter sock. That should remove the bubbles. I had it exiting into a clump of chaeto. The flow through your UV should not be very fast. If it's creating bubbles, it's too fast (IMO). Try to describe or show some pics of your set-up.

I did add 2 K3's. Actually that seemed to have accelerated the flow into the overflow. I know it all sounds weird. Maybe I should reduce flow and change angle of K3's. I have no idea on placement of these things.

2 K3's may be a tad much for that. I had two K2's. and I had them on opposite ends pointed to the front wall so that they opposed each other and swept around the bow and created, what I thought was perfect flow.

Here is a pic, sock was off skimmer return due to cleaning at the time.

1115091717a.jpg

So basically water comes in from back right chamber, goes through wall to front right chamber with LRR, down through bubble trap, into front middle chamber with skimmer, down through another bubble trap and up through front left chamber that used to have LRR and cheato, through wall about mid way up into back chamber which houses cheato and LRR, also it is divided so the water goes in and around another wall before reaching my return pump. Also in the back chamber is the intake for the canister which pulls through my uv sterilizer and dumps into the back right chamber with the water from the overflow so that water runs through my filter again...whew...that was a mess