Why A Sump?

Kevman

So say you have a tank full of live rock and alot of flow inside the tank to move the water past the rocks, Would there still be a need for the Sump... Now I know you need a Skimmer and Possibly a Cal React.

My Question is what does haveing a Sump really do?

Im interested in learning what is really needed and what can or needs to be modified.

Please Help(rock2)

A sump has many +'s.

1 - it adds water volume, which makes water parameters more stable

2 - it give you a place to add filter socks to remove detritus

3a - it is a great place to put filter bags full of media, so it is not in your display

3b - you can put reactors in them

4 - you can add more LR for more natural filtration

There are others also but those are the easieat and most common ones that just popped into my head.

HTH

A sump has many +'s.

1 - it adds water volume, which makes water parameters more stable

2 - it give you a place to add filter socks to remove detritus

3a - it is a great place to put filter bags full of media, so it is not in your display

3b - you can put reactors in them

4 - you can add more LR for more natural filtration

There are others also but those are the easieat and most common ones that just popped into my head.

HTH

I will add to that, it gives you a place to run your skimmer/ calcium reactor. A place to put your heater, it gives you the option most times on running a refugium which has 1000 benefits all in it's own, with natural and cheap filtration being one of the biggest.

Hang on the back anything is a kids toy, canister filters are high maintenance at best. I always swore I would never have a tank with all that stuff but after I got my first sump, I knew it was the best purchase I had ever made and I would never consider going without.

Another plus is that it provides a place to dose without having as big of an impact on anything in the tank. (By the time it gets pumped into the display it is diluted) Water changes are also easier as well since you don't have to pump the water up to the top of the tank. (Or try to dump in in from above it)

Basically it gives you a place to put things so your not looking at them instead of your livestock, plus the added water volume is a big plus!! But if your diligent enough and do many a water changes you can get away with not having anything but a heater and power heads in your tank and be successful.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have a sump and have had one for,well since I set my tank up a year and a half ago....I want to make mine more efficient and add live rock to the sump, and so I wanted to know more about the sump so I didnt end up taking away from the basic principle..I, as some one else has been talking about in another thread have a old wet/dry for my sump and am looking to maybe rearrange it...

Thanks again for the input....keep um coming if you have input....

Not to mention its a good place to banish your stray mantis shrimp and hermit crab that doesnt behave.....although I have found it unusually cruel to bannish any hermit or small snail to my sump to live with julious my mantis shrimp. Sometimes I forget to feed that sucker and he goes to beatin on the empty shells looking for a meal. This reminds me to feed him.

Jay

When I started useing a sump years ago I also started growing cheato algae. When I did all that my tank really went nuts with life and growth. Around the same time I also started useing kalkwasser at night. My corals would open so nice the next day. Most of my corals were lps corals back then.

Jay

Myself, I do not like to have live rock in my sump. I like to keep it a clean zone (except for maybe algae). YMMV. I know if I ever did get a nano, the next thing I would do is to get a sump. I think a lot of nano owners would be aided by the stability and utility that a sump provides.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have a sump and have had one for' date='well since I set my tank up a year and a half ago....I want to make mine more efficient and add live rock to the sump.QUOTE']

If your building your own sump there are lots of different lay outs, basiclly same ideas just different areas, drain, return, skimmer, fuge (something not mentioned). I would give your self room for later add ons.

Here is my "messy" sump-it used to be clean and than I add or tweaked this and that, I think its time to get in there and clean up, actually past time for clean up;

P1090749.jpg

I sump houses my PH monitor probe, PH Controller probe, pump to my chiller, pump to my skimmer, the skimmer, the pump for the UV return, phophate reactor return, the Calcium reactor return, the heater, main display return. All the hoses that tie into all those pumps-LOL

Very messy and but not possible to gave all those gadgets with out the sump-If I had more space in my sump/cabinet I would have added a refugium area-someday maybe, things are tight in my 20 gallon sump though-(scratch)

it will also have a benefit of removing surface scum by skimmming it off through the overflow, which in turn oxygenates the water

btw never drink the peach flavored drink at brads (byrd) house ;)

LOL-why not it says right on the front "excellent" but that stuff does not smell excellent-(whistle)

The biggest downfall to a sump (and I know from experience) Is how incredibly ticked off the ol lady can get when she comes home to find that you actually put a hole in the wall so that you can run a silent tank and a 55 gallon sump and 60 gallon refuge in the spare bedroom, well that and the fact that I refer to her sometimes as the ol lady probably doesn't help either.(wife)