Hard Water

Mandinga

Hey all, name's Isaac and I am new to the board...if you couldn't tell.

I was having a discussion with Kirswaters, who mentioned Newberg has hard water. Does anyone know if the extra calcium and magnesium ions found in hard water is beneficial to reef tanks?

an RO unit is next in line for me to purchase, if anyone has recommendations as to where I can get a good price on one, please let me know.

Yes, the hard water is good, but there is also some things in the water that are not good, like phosphate and silicate and other bad stuff. That is why we use water with 0 TDS and add back only what we want.

Check with the sponsors, or your LFS. Also, several on ebay.

What size tank? How much water do you need to make? Are you also going to use the water for drinking etc.? There are a whole bunch of brands and setups. My preference is Spectrapure They are having a sale on the wholesale end. You might take a look at there stuff http://www.spectrapure.com/St_rodi_systems.htm I have the Maxcap setup. 2nd down on the left.

R/Os and water high in hardness and iron really shortens the life of the membranes. Do you know how high in gpg the water is? Usually we shoot for 10 gpg or less in hardness. (or 171ppm)

Quite a few of the water treatment stores will test your hardness and iron for free.