Cocoa worm

Beckie

I have had it for a while, it seemed to make a sort of film to connect its tube to a rock. It seems to have spread four inches or so. I happen to be watching my tank and the head just came out and floated away. Is it dead? Just moving? Very wierd looking. Is the film that is spreading something to worry about? Here is pic's of the worm and film

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Beckie

I suspected the same on both counts. I've seen a film like that develop that was just a sponge of sorts. Sometimes these will throw the head and then grow a new one in a week or two. One of my feather dusters did this awhile back. The entire thing didn't come out though. I would still leave it be and see if it grows a new head but otherwise there isn't anything you can do other than checking your parameters to see if there are any issues there. Someone else may be able to say for sure if it is dead or not.

I know they can up and move but I don't know that this is how they go about it. For that matter I don't know that it's not. I can say that the last one of mine that died released it's feathers, which does not mean it is dying, cause I have seen them do that and grow new ones. But then it left the tube full of super nasty slimy stuff (dead worm), if you have ever pulled a dead carpet out of a tank then you know what this smells like, nothing is worse, I swear.

....if you have ever pulled a dead carpet out of a tank then you know what this smells like' date=' nothing is worse, I swear.[/quote']I know something worse. A dead clam is a sure winner.(scary) I had one die right before I did a tank swap and the whole house stunk for a couple of weeks. (The tank swap made it even worse than it was to start with)

Good news! Alot of the time when they crawl out of their tube, they are simply traveling to a new location to start a new home. I have seen many of them do this and the show up creating a new tube somewhere else in the tank. I have on the other hand also seen them do this and then die right after but that only happens sometimes.

Good luck!

Good news! Alot of the time when they crawl out of their tube, they are simply traveling to a new location to start a new home. I have seen many of them do this and the show up creating a new tube somewhere else in the tank. I have on the other hand also seen them do this and then die right after but that only happens sometimes.

Good luck!

Awesome, I wasn't sure.