Reeflo mounting ???

snowpunk

Is their any reason I couldn't mount a snapper standing up on end? It seems like it would actually be less restrictive and not have as much head pressure also. It would just make life a whole lot easier if I could...DOH!

It would be for a closed loop to clarify. so water would go directly in from the tank instead of hitting a 90, and would pump horizontally out instead of straight up at first.

Over time having it on end may place undue stress on the bearings from running them with a side load that they were not designed for.

True, but do you think that the pressure of 2500 gph coming into the pump create the same pressure, IE side load as if it were standing up? Or do you think that standing it up would create just that much more pressure and cause the bearings to fail that way? Seriously, I don't know and am just asking!

True' date=' but do you think that the pressure of 2500 gph coming into the pump create the same pressure, IE side load as if it were standing up? Or do you think that standing it up would create just that much more pressure and cause the bearings to fail that way? Seriously, I don't know and am just asking![/quote']

If this uses a regular utility motor which is what it appears to be then the shaft floats with nothing other than bushings to keep it in place. Chances are it is and the pump itself (the portion the shaft attaches to) is just designed so it doesn't add any substantial side loading on the bearings. Designed right it wouldn't matter much how many GPH is involved.

If it has dual bearings it should be fine. The sleeve style motors sometimes dont like being mounted vertical though. Way back, jet pumps for domestic wells mounted vertical over the well, using standard motors, nothing special. I still see those pumps every now and then. Sure they probably had the bearings replaced, but its pretty inexpensive to do.

The GPH/Pressure the pump does will have zero bearing on the bearing life IMO. You would run into that on stage pumps that develop up thrust like a submersible pump in a well does.

Those reeflo pumps do not like much head pressure against them, they are mostly low 1750 rpm pumps except the high pressure versions. Personally I would just oversize the plumbing on them or use double 45's to make your turns. The other thing to consider is if your standing this pump on its motor instead, that would be a bad idea IMO also, you have a seal start leaking its going directly into the motor.

Rick, that makes sense. blown65, that's true, if it leaks its shot!

He could mount it upside down to the ceiling of his stand to give himself more room.

Yup, thats about the only reason I see doing it is for saving room. Another thing I forgot about is those motors are TEFC motors, if you stand it on the motor end, you will over heat the motor since it cant get the air flow it needs. (fan is on that end)

I would still do a double 45 or over size the plumbing.

Rick, that makes sense. blown65, that's true, if it leaks its shot!

He could mount it upside down to the ceiling of his stand to give himself more room.

For a closed loop this would be fine. If it's pulling water up from a sump then it might not be. I think most of the pumps have to be below the water level. (I.E. They can't pull water up to the pump if there is air in the line) Would need to check the documentation on it to be sure.

For a closed loop this would be fine. If it's pulling water up from a sump then it might not be. I think most of the pumps have to be below the water level. (I.E. They can't pull water up to the pump if there is air in the line) Would need to check the documentation on it to be sure.

Those are not self priming pumps, so you are correct. Closed loop or the water would have to be above the impeller of the pump. You could get creative and make it work but man, it would be a PITA if the power goes out and your risk burning the seal up with it running dry. What little gains you would get would be avoided by running larger plumbing. lol

the plan was to mount it on the wall so the fan would still be totally functional. I did think of the seals leak thing to but hadn't come up with a good solution for that yet. I could mount it to the ceiling but I think having it in direct contact to the bottom of the tank could make mini vibrations.

The problem of a seal leaking actually got me thinking just now. If I still mount it to the wall but mount it sideways then it solves most of the issues and still frees up some space. I can run the flex hose from the vertical return to the horizontal pump inlet. The pump will have to be more off to the side which will actually work better for getting the hose out of the way and getting it to the OM at the same time.

Just a note: I plan on leaving the piping at the size it already is. so the return lines will be two 2" BH that merge to one into the pump. The outlet of the pump is 1.5" and it will stay that way right into the OM and through there into the bulkheads. I may divide the lines to two 1" or two .75" at the ends but that shouldn't change the head pressure at all...