anemone fragging

Mr S

I used a set of sharp fabric shears to cut one. Made a nice quick clean cut, Mine was a bit unique though as it already had 2 feet. I saw it attached in 2 spots stretched across them one day so I reached into the tank with the shears and cut it right in the tank. Dennis I believe does them out of the tank with a sharp knife. He then puts them into a container to rinse the slime off before putting them back into the tank. (I never saw any slime coming off mine) He also suggests running carbon for a few days. (I didn't see any negative effects from not running it but I don't think it would hurt either)

The question though I would ask is whether the slime is due to cutting or from taking it out of the tank to cut it? (Every anemone I had in the open air had slime on it afterwards) I couldn't see any slime on the one I cut but I don't know for certain that there wasn't any. I do know that there were no negative effects from the method I followed but I only have that one experience to go from. The method Dennis suggests seems to work well for him and he's done more than I have so his method has more merit.

Yep. all that was said is good so far.

I have not fragged for a little while. My anemones are all growing and I have had an outbreak of red cotton-candy algae that is starting to make me want to take the tank down. Overall I have had not a good experience with the tanks as they are setup. :(

Fragging the anemones has been fine. I have even cut a Ritteri anemone twice. One clone did not make it each time, but one clone is doing fine and ready to be cut again when I get around to it.

dsoz