Sump question

gradth

So I am redoing my 55 and turning it into a FOWLR. I am going to use my wet dry sump but want to make some mods to it.

I ditched the bioballs and need help setting it up.

Current sump empty, right chamber is where the bioballs were and where the tank drains to.

sump003.jpg

First question I have. I happen to have 2 hang on overflows, so I was going to use them both, one on each end of the tank. I was wondering if this lay out would work ok. Disregard the size of the pvc as I just laid out what I had laying around, but the design is my idea.

sump002-1.jpg

That would attach to here

sump004.jpg

Anyone see an issue with any of that?

Second I wondering about the sump set up as well. Live rock placement, return, THat sort of stuff. I have a Aquac remora HOB skimmer that I had just hanging on the sump before, no other real option for that.

Good ideas? Any suggestions. Not really sure what needs to be in a FOWLR sump. I have a 20 gal long sump I built, but I would have to modify my stand a bit to get it to fit.

I'm running that same sump with some mods also. I have eggcrate that my rock sits on in the right chamber. The little wall in yours to the left is much taller to hold more water in the right side for the live rock.

Oh, and it is really a noisy sumps so if you want to counter that problem make the pipe go deep into the sump to release the water instead of trickling all over the drawer plate...

I'm running that same sump with some mods also. I have eggcrate that my rock sits on in the right chamber. The little wall in yours to the left is much taller to hold more water in the right side for the live rock.

Oh, and it is really a noisy sumps so if you want to counter that problem make the pipe go deep into the sump to release the water instead of trickling all over the drawer plate...

Got any pictures?

If you submerge the return (I would) then run a backup drain that isn't submerged that can handle all of the flow. When the power comes back on a submerged drain will not flow the full volume at first. Not exactly sure why but that is what ends up happening. Mine backs up and flows through the backup drain for a few minutes before the submerged drain catches up.

FWIW, I had this same sump on my old 40g tank and I pulled the tray out and submerged the drain and then added a backup drain. I also did the eggcrate with LR over it like Snowpunk did. One other thing I would suggest would be to add a piece of acrylic at the bottom of the first section to close it up. That will force the water to overflow the first section at a consistant height. The consistant height can be important to provide a consistant flow pressure to the skimmer. (Put the skimmer pump in the first section)

Here this is something I just put together to show you really quick...

picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=611

That should work. It won't let me make it any bigger so you cant really read the stuff.

From left to right then down~

Return chamber

Extended height wall

Water level in sump

Live rock area

Egg crate goes here

So I should raise the height of the wall for the return chamber?

I did just to get more water in the sump over all. It gave more room for the live rock in there also. I put cheato in with the rock but wouldn't do it again as it's hard to get in there and weed it out. It grows through the eggcrating and just becomes a mess.

IMO 2 drains would be better. If you get over to Westside Aquariums you can see his display tanks sump set up and it is a dual drain.

one other note on that design. figure out the right height so that if the power goes out it will just barely not overflow when fully topped off and so that you have the most time between topoffs. an auto top off would be a gret addition to counter that possible problem...

This is VERY VERY true. I have had to make several adjustments to my set up and still haven't found that optimal setting. I do NOT want to continue to add a gallon or more every single "freaking" day. Sorry but it drives me crazy. I hate having all those tedious tasks on a day to day.

Yeah I have a Auto top off set up on my 180, love it. Just gonna have to order another. I have 2 drains on my 180 also and it works nice, I was just trying to be fancy and make it look nice. Which really makes no sense because its in the back. LOL

Look at me go, have not even finished the 180 and already getting obcessed with something new.