Cycling tank light question

ciao

So I have a 400W MH with two Actinics. I just recently added some premo live rock and will begin cycling the tank this weekend. I figure this will take around a month(hopefully shorter). My question is how long should I have the lights on during this cycling period?

So I have a 400W MH with two Actinics. I just recently added some premo live rock and will begin cycling the tank this weekend. I figure this will take around a month(hopefully shorter). My question is how long should I have the lights on during this cycling period?

As I understand the lighting is for your pleasure-long photo periods will add to algae growth-myself I ran the lights about 4 hours a day, and that is because I used live fish to cycle my tank-never new of the deli shrimp method.

If you dont have livestock 3-4 hours would be my opinion, maybe less

good luck with it all

Yes as Algae said, pretty much the less the better, there is nothing in there at this point that needs it, but as your tank cycles you will find that there will be nuisance algae that will start to thrive if given the light needed. Also try to add some live sand from an established tank and this should sped up the process by a lot.

Yes as Algae said' date=' pretty much the less the better, there is nothing in there at this point that needs it, but as your tank cycles you will find that there will be nuisance algae that will start to thrive if given the light needed. Also try to add some live sand from an established tank and this should sped up the process by a lot.[/quote']

Don't the tubeworms, mushrooms, and other live stuff such as the few snails and small starfish need the light?? As for getting some live sand from an established tank, Brandon was nice enough to give me a cup from his tear down of his 90 gallon cube when I went to pick up the live rock from him.

Don't the tubeworms' date=' mushrooms, and other live stuff such as the few snails and small starfish need the light?? As for getting some live sand from an established tank, Brandon was nice enough to give me a cup from his tear down of his 90 gallon cube when I went to pick up the live rock from him.[/quote']

None of the items you mentioned will need more than a few hours of light a day. I think the only one mentioned that may need the light at all are the mushrooms.