White Sand Group Buy Here

Rick

I've done the groundwork now and will be able to set up a group buy for white calcium carbonate sand. This is very similar or perhaps even the same stuff as the Southdown sand. It passes a vinegar test verifying that it is calcium based and I placed 50 lbs. in my tanks 5 days ago (Looks great IMO). The group buy will be ordered 2000 lbs. at a time. I.E. If enough people want to get in then I can order another 2000 lbs. after the first one. The cost of the sand will be 28 cents per pound for the sugar size. (See post #16 for information on the larger size) I would prefer to have at least 50 lbs. per person since this is bulk sand which I will need to weigh and place into buckets. It will be BYOB (Bring your own buckets) however I will have measured buckets ready so you can just swap buckets with me. If you need buckets then I can get them for 1 or 2 dollars each or we can dump it into a different container (tote or whatever). We can work that out when you pick it up. Payment will need to be in advance. Send me a PM to work out the payment. If you would like to get in on the group buy please post below with how many lbs. you would like along with your preference of grain size. (I have the option to get any of about 5 sizes which I'll post more details on once I get the samples) The choice of grain size will be based on quantity ordered (For the first 2000 lbs. it appears it will be sugar sized). Here is what we have so far: (Please confirm that you still want in and the quantity needed below)

Member Name, Quantity, Grain Preference, Paid (Pending indicates confirmed quantity but payment arrangements still need to be made)

tom_c55 - 200 lbs. - Sugar - Picked Up

MissDeffiance - 200 lbs. - Sugar - Picked Up

garrettm85 - 400 lbs. - Sugar or one size larger - Picked Up

half-astronaut - 300 lbs. - Sugar - Picked Up

Danik - 200 lbs. - Sugar or One size larger - Picked Up

badguitarist - 1000 lbs. - Sugar - Picked Up

snowpunk - 350 lbs. - Sugar - Picked Up

Bitricker - 150 lbs - Sugar or one size larger - Picked Up

Nick (RoseCity Aquarium) - 200 lbs. - Sugar or one size larger - Picked Up

nwcoralfarm - 200 lbs. - Sugar or one size larger - Pickup planned this weekend

The order will be rearranged based on when the payments are received. As soon as I have payments for 2000 lbs. I'll get an order in. Then when we hit another 2000 lbs. I'll put in a second order. If we do not get to the 2000 lbs. on the second group then I'll either see about getting part of a pallet in or will pay for the extra myself to resell later so don't let that hold you back. Once ordered it should take about a week to arrive.

Note: See post #16 for additional information on the grain sizes and pricing for the larger size. (It's a couple of cents more a pound)

Another Note: I was under the impression the bags this is shipped in had a 2000 lb. limit. I have since found out that this is incorrect. 2000 lbs. is the minimum so we can go over that and add it to the first order provided the payments are in when it is ordered.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive the ignorance: How do I know what size is best? Currently I have a 36 bowfront, but have an empty 75 in my dining room that we're slowly putting together. I think all we need now is a calcium reactor, sand and live rock. I'm guessing I would need about 100 pounds, but how does a person choose the size of the sand? Is this personal preference, or depending on what you're growing? Thanks.

I think I'd prefer the larger size 150lbs

I'll be posting up some pics of the two sizes he gave me samples for which may effect the choice. (The larger size is more like small gravel instead of sand) I'm having him check to see if they can do a size between them.

Forgive the ignorance: How do I know what size is best? Currently I have a 36 bowfront' date=' but have an empty 75 in my dining room that we're slowly putting together. I think all we need now is a calcium reactor, sand and live rock. I'm guessing I would need about 100 pounds, but how does a person choose the size of the sand? Is this personal preference, or depending on what you're growing? Thanks.[/quote']

It's part preference and part dependent on what is in the tank. Sand sifting creatures (stars, snails, gobies, and a few others) do better with smaller sand. Sharks have soft undersides that can be torn up by larger stuff as well. Some people prefer a little larger if they will have a lot of flow in the tank since the smaller stuff will move more if there is flow directed at it. I have a respectable amount of flow in my tank without this happening however I do not have any directed right at the sand either. (My clowns tend to make small dunes with it though) One other consideration is that if your relying on a deep sand bed to turn nitrates into nitrogen gas then the finer sand helps to create an oxygen depleted area underneath. How much I don't know though.

I have a question.. I am setting up a 80 Gal. How much do you think would be needed?

Here is a link that will get you very close. measure the tank LxW then figure about how deep you want it(2.5" to 3" is usually what people shoot for).

http://reefcentral.com/index.php/sand-bed-calculator

Forgive the ignorance: How do I know what size is best? Currently I have a 36 bowfront' date=' but have an empty 75 in my dining room that we're slowly putting together. I think all we need now is a calcium reactor, sand and live rock. I'm guessing I would need about 100 pounds, but how does a person choose the size of the sand? Is this personal preference, or depending on what you're growing? Thanks.[/quote']

A little of both really is how you choose. I am planning on having sand sifting goby's, stars, and other inverts so I chose sugar size mostly for that reason. I think it looks more natural to what I always think of a reef as being also. Keep in mind the smaller size you get the more compact it will become. This means the weight per square foot is going to be more so you will need a hair more pound wise then with the bigger stuff to reach your desired depth. You could also follow the link I posted above and see what it tells you. I did it and added about 20% so I know I won't run short.;)

I have a question.. I am setting up a 80 Gal. How much do you think would be needed?

Based on my old 85 gallon I would guess somewhere around 125 lbs. for around a 3" sandbed. Check this link though as it should give you a ballpark. Figure it at the 90 lbs. per sq. ft. since it is sugar sized fine sand.

Based on my old 85 gallon I would guess somewhere around 125 lbs. for around a 3" sandbed. Check this link though as it should give you a ballpark. Figure it at the 90 lbs. per sq. ft. since it is sugar sized fine sand.

lol... stop copying me!!! He While I got your attention Rick, I do want in on the sugar sand buy but I gotta wait till Friday to get the cash in the bank first. You won't be sending it before then will you?

lol... stop copying me!!! He While I got your attention Rick' date=' I do want in on the sugar sand buy but I gotta wait till Friday to get the cash in the bank first. You won't be sending it before then will you?[/quote']

LOL, I think we posted almost simultaneously. At least one other needs a couple of days also for the same reason. I was going to try to order some friday but it may end up being early next week instead.

LOL' date=' I think we posted almost simultaneously. At least one other needs a couple of days also for the same reason. I was going to try to order some friday but it may end up being early next week instead.[/quote']

okay, I just want to make sure I get in for the sugar if the other option ends up being much bigger. I'll just cross my fingers that it gets pushed till monday:p

Update on the grain sizes. It was my understanding that there would be about 5 sizes however he only had 2 samples for me today. One is the sugar size stuff on the left and the other is the larger size on the right. It will cost 2 cents more per pound. He is willing to discuss a smaller order on the larger stuff. Note that I am having him see if we can get a size between these.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6469&stc=1&d=1257992260

post-5811-14186775045_thumb.jpg

It's pure calcium carbonate sand. It's coming from Canada but I don't know whether it is made from aragonite or some other calcium carbonate material. Here is a pic of the vinegar test. It looks and feels the same as the bag of Southdown Sand I picked up from Waves shortly before it closed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6470&stc=1&d=1257993763

post-5811-141867750455_thumb.jpg

I guess I rather have the sugar sized stuff. you were gonna pm for payment arrangements right?

I was having others send me a PM to let me know if Paypal works or they prefer another payment method. I'll shoot you a PM with the Paypal details.

List updated.

Currently we have 400 lbs. paid, 2400 lbs. pending payment, and 400 unknown. (Madmike hasn't confirmed yet).

Note: I was under the impression the bags this is shipped in had a 2000 lb. limit. I have since found out that this is incorrect. 2000 lbs. is the minimum so we can go over that.