Wat to feed them???

Arman

i have multiple sps corals and gorgonians in my tank and was wondering wat the best thing to feed them is. i have read and heard so many things that i am slightly confused on wat to do. should i use coral frenzy? or is ZoPlan by two little fishies better? or is just getting the juices from the mysis shrimp that i feed my fish good?

-Arman Siddiqui

Basically you have tons of options out there. I feed Reef Nutrition or DT's Phyto once-twice per week lighting, cyclopeeze 3-4 times a week(some of my pickier fish such as pipes and horses love this stuff), and Reef Chili 2 times a week. Most of my corals don't really seem to care whether I feed them at all while some really do alot better when fed. My sps don't seem to care really but the softies and some of the lps definately do in most cases.

I feed my own homemade blend, which I am now producing in larger quantities and selling over here it Utah. You could do something similar, but realize that it gets messy, stinky, you have to have a freezer to put food in while you are working on it, and it takes time.

Here's my ingredients:

Mysis Shrimp

Chopped Krill

Rotifers

Oyster Eggs

Cyclopeze

Brine Shrimp

Selco Vitamins and Ammino Acids

Green Nori

Red Nori

Brown Nori

Fish Roe (usually salmon-we'll see whats available inland)

Sea Urchin

Mussels

Clams

Oysters

Whole Shrimp

Eggplant Peels

Garlic

Golden Pearls

Athrospira Algae

Daphnia

Mini Mysis

Silversides (chopped)

Plankton Frozen Food

Squid

I take all prepared food and just let it desolve in some RO water, then I add all of the seafood, which is raw, and just keep blending, not pureeing, but blending till there are all size bits. Add it to the food and put it back in the freezer. I keep doing this until I get them all added, and then mix it all real well and put it in ziplock freezer bags.

I used to use a very similar mix to feed my entire tank. I think you have a larger list of ingredient though Curtis. It works out really well to make a large batch of food at a time and then just freeze it into ziplock bags so that you can just snap off a piece and feed the tank. I still use a similar approach with a variety of food for the entire tank but I just don't mix and freeze it all together. This allows me to spot feed certain types of food to certain types of critters and really helps me gauge what is eatin the most so that I can try and feed accordingly. There are defiantely benefits to both way but I have to say the mass food manufacturing certainly makes things easier from day to day.

I agree with you garrett. With a mass food like mine, some corals get what they need, sometimes they dont. I try to gear mine toward everything and have a TON of 10-100 micron foods, not to mention what gets ground up in the blender. I do see sps sometimes trying to choke down a chuck of squid or something, makes me laugh. But hey, if they get nutrients from it externally (not sure if they do or not) then more power to them. I usually desolve it in a cup of water, then spot feed the LPS with the stuff that stick to the bottom, and spot feed the SPS the smaller particle stuff that floats around. I did a 5g bucket full of it last time, next time I will probably do 20 gallons, and start having some of the LFS sell it.

I agree with you garrett. With a mass food like mine' date=' some corals get what they need, sometimes they dont. I try to gear mine toward everything and have a TON of 10-100 micron foods, not to mention what gets ground up in the blender. I do see sps sometimes trying to choke down a chuck of squid or something, makes me laugh. But hey, if they get nutrients from it externally (not sure if they do or not) then more power to them. I usually desolve it in a cup of water, then spot feed the LPS with the stuff that stick to the bottom, and spot feed the SPS the smaller particle stuff that floats around. I did a 5g bucket full of it last time, next time I will probably do 20 gallons, and start having some of the LFS sell it.[/quote']

Yes, but your forgetting that your feeding the tank this every day, so basically your feeding the corals every day so to say that some of the corals arnt getting what they need is prob false.

I feed my corals quite a bit...

Reefbooster- once per week

Rods Coral Blend- once per week

Reef Chilli- once per week

I always feed about an hour after lights out...

I've always looked at my tanks after the light's go out and there usually isnt any polyp extention, once ya start feeding when light's out do they open up more?

I've always looked at my tanks after the light's go out and there usually isnt any polyp extention' date=' once ya start feeding when light's out do they open up more?[/quote']

I haven't notice a big difference of polyp extension when feeding after lights out, but try it and you'll see the difference. Acan's eat like pigs after lights out!

Well its been almost an hour and I don't see much of a change. It may take a couple feedings before they notice?

It could. Most of my LPS will have noticeable PE after the lights have been out for a couple of hours. Some can be trained to open up during the daytime but others don't seem to react as well.