Noobie to the area...best live rock in Portland??

Baroose_Le

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and the PNMAS. Looks like a great site and I'm looking forward to using it!

Ive been away from the hobby for a few years but I'm in the process of setting up my all in one 25 gallon reef tank again at home and am also going to set up a picotank (4 gallons) at my office. I'm going to be needing some live rock (preferably completely cured). I will also need some very small but cool looking rock for my little tank. Any suggestions?

Also, I plan on using completely aquacultured/captive bred/fragged livestock. Any local suggestions for this? Anyone get shipments from ORA?

Thanks!

Davy Jones Locker (see the sponsor section here) gets quite a bit of ORA stuff. If your not in a big hurry someone will inevitably be selling live rock here on the board when they tear down a tank which will insure that it's fully cured. No telling how fast that will be though. Other than this check the sponsors as I think all of the local stores sell cured live rock. May have to go to each store though to determine how well it is cured.

Keep us updated, especially on the Pico. I have everything here now I think to build a Pico. It will be about 3 gallons for the front display area and 1 1/2 gallons or so for filtration at the back with an overflow like my growout tank (link in my signature). For circulation I plan to use a small powerhead inside the overflow area.

Most of our SPONSORS have nice live rock. Nick had some great looking rock today when we were in the store. So did Westside Aquarium. As for the aquacultured livestock, I know that DJL carries ORA fish and corals. Upscales also has ORA corals. Most of our local stores have aquacultured livestock and there are several of us hobbyists who trade for nice frags of their corals. The best thing to do is really get out there and visit each store to determine your favorite.