New bulbs

RLaForce

Ok so I need to get replacement bulbs for a 250 watt double ended hqi. I would like to go around 14 to 15k for this. Reason being I want better growth rate and color to pop a little more in my tank. I have been reading on all the different pars on different bulbs. I think I have narrowed it down to Phoenix or Giesemann. I would like opinions on what people think of both types, or if you think a different bulb could do a better job for what I want. One of the big draws for the Phoenix bulb is looking at the studies they don't need to be replaced as often. My lighting is on yo-yo's so I can move the light closer to the water accordingly. Thanks for you advice!(scratch)

Phoenix works well for me and it's an inexpensive bulb. I've read the study done on using the bulb longer than 12 months and i'm not sure about that. I just replaced my Phoenix 14k and i used them close to 20 months and it was a world of difference when i changed them. i've already seen a big improvement in corals too. i'll probably use them 16 months at most this time around. JMO

according to sanjay's site the phoenix 14k blow away the ushio 20k in PAR, well...the phoenix 14k out performs most of the bulbs, including the top 10k bulbs. Calvin I read the same study about them lasting a lot longer, I am noticing the color of my corals isn't what it should be, and I think my bulbs are about 18 months. I think I will shoot for 16 months as well. They are relatively inexpensive bulbs anyways.

according to sanjay's site the phoenix 14k blow away the ushio 20k in PAR' date=' well...the phoenix 14k out performs most of the bulbs, including the top 10k bulbs. Calvin I read the same study about them lasting a lot longer, I am noticing the color of my corals isn't what it should be, and I think my bulbs are about 18 months. I think I will shoot for 16 months as well. They are relatively inexpensive bulbs anyways.[/quote']

I think you'll see a difference in coral colors when you do replace them. I went 20 months cause buying 5 bulbs is a good chunk of change at $50 each. Hopefully i'm working again by the time i need to replace bulbs next time around. (scary)

RLa-did you run acroos what the levels of par are for a 14K and 20K?

Just curious how they compare to the bulbs I use-

Jusy to throw it out there, and these are 2 months old but my 20K 250 watt DE-MH bulbs at 22 inches of depth were 220, when I switched to "15K" not 14K I had par readings of 420 at that same depth.

What are you finding?

What kind of bulbs are you using? That's a huge difference in the par! Right now I don't have reading for my bulbs, but looking at the Phoenix bulbs the hit right between 400-500 for the depth that I have. The other thing I really like about the Phoenix bulbs is the blue that they give off. Like I said I have an easy adjustable lighting system so I can play with it so see what works best in my tank.

RLa-did you run acroos what the levels of par are for a 14K and 20K?

Just curious how they compare to the bulbs I use-

Jusy to throw it out there, and these are 2 months old but my 20K 250 watt DE-MH bulbs at 22 inches of depth were 220, when I switched to "15K" not 14K I had par readings of 420 at that same depth.

What are you finding?

What kind of bulbs are you using? That's a huge difference in the par! Right now I don't have reading for my bulbs' date=' but looking at the Phoenix bulbs the hit right between 400-500 for the depth that I have. The other thing I really like about the Phoenix bulbs is the blue that they give off. Like I said I have an easy adjustable lighting system so I can play with it so see what works best in my tank.[/quote']

Fortunately blue is not much of an issue in my tank, I have 4-65 watt actinic in addition to the dual 250 watt DE MH, which is a big reason why I pulled my 20K's out and put the 15K bulbs back in- I still get a nice look (10-14K by themselves are to "yellow" for me) and my corals LOVE the lower K. I saw the difference within the 1st 30 minutes, my Loripe and Lokani corals show ever so slight polyps with the 15k that was never present in the 20K-

I am going to guess you have never heard of my bulbs-they are Plusrite and run 22.00 a bulb delivered to my door.

That is why I was asking about the readings before mentioning the "no-name" brand I use.

And have used for the past year-I like to compare par readings as to brands.

I don't know any way to rate a bulb other than the level of par it produces at month 1,2,3,4, etc.

I have heard of them and I bet you get them from a to t lamps! Right now I have 10k and it's to white for me plus I would like to see more color.

Fortunately blue is not much of an issue in my tank, I have 4-65 watt actinic in addition to the dual 250 watt DE MH, which is a big reason why I pulled my 20K's out and put the 15K bulbs back in- I still get a nice look (10-14K by themselves are to "yellow" for me) and my corals LOVE the lower K. I saw the difference within the 1st 30 minutes, my Loripe and Lokani corals show ever so slight polyps with the 15k that was never present in the 20K-

I am going to guess you have never heard of my bulbs-they are Plusrite and run 22.00 a bulb delivered to my door.

That is why I was asking about the readings before mentioning the "no-name" brand I use.

And have used for the past year-I like to compare par readings as to brands.

I don't know any way to rate a bulb other than the level of par it produces at month 1,2,3,4, etc.

My mistake, I am using 14K plusrite bulbs, the 15K were Odyssea. The Pliusrite bulbs I get from a seller on Ebay-I sell there as well so I am on line there daily-

http://myworld.ebay.com/trust_deals&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID

Believe me, I have no problem dropping a 100.00 on a bulb if I can find "proof" that its better. I'll keep it short but I have done side by side tests with 2 name brand bulbs I spent approx 65.00 each for and those were 150 MH DE, not 250DE which just means the 250DE are MORE than 65.00 each, and I found there is no par difference

Here is a thread that has some reading regarding other peoples exp.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703568

I might try a 14k Phoenix for fun myself also.

I have some Reeflux 12ks and they are pretty dim, also some pretty new 20k Icecap and still pretty dim. My EVC 10ks are really bright in comparison but lack the blue output completely. Maybe a slight yellow to them but very little, mostly just a bright white light.

Going by the tests I've read the PAR of the EVC 10k and the Phoenix 14k is fairly close, Phoenix being slightly lower.

Do you have a PAR Meter or access to one-I think that is the true measure' date=' my eyes are unique to me-(laugh)[/quote']

I wish I did! So if anyone has one let me know and I can truly measure the difference. How I think it will go is that at the beginning both bulbs will be very closely matched up, but I think in the long run the Phoenix will last longer. I could be completely off on this.

That is what I want to nail down, the levels over time, fortunately there is a great shop near here that will let me borrow theirs meter.

I have read threads on R2R and RC of some that have been using them for years but I need to see for myself in my tank.

I am actually thinking of buying a set of XM or Radiums bulbs just to put this thing to rest, it all depends, I am not paying 80.00 a bulb-(nono)

Well I just surfed for 15 mins. I guess Radiums dont come in a DE MH, or at least I cant find any.

what to do??