Help me decide !

gradth

So while trying to do a hefty water change on my 55 fish only tank today, I realized it was so nasty that it needed to be completly torn down, cleaned and redone.

Moved my couple fish over to my 29 gallon for a temp tank. Sadly I think the stress was to much for my dragon goby. RIP!

Anyway, I am trying to decide what I should do with it. Im thinking about a FOWL tank. I know im ditching the bioballs in my sump as I think they are the main cause of my constant cyno problem I had with that tank.

Any ideas? Current fish will be a Cubicus, niger trigger. There is a lot of fish my wife likes but are not safe for my 180. So heres my chance I think.

Thanks for the ideas.

I definitely suggest a FOWLR over just a FOWL tank, ha ha. Yes, you have to hook their interest so that they are on the same page with you when it comes time to setup your 200 reef tank.

Fish only tanks are cool, and cheaper, I think it just depends on your taste preference. I would ditch the bio balls for sure, just make sure you have a decent amount of live rock and get rid of them slowly, allowing your tank time to adjust.

I definitely suggest a FOWLR over just a FOWL tank, ha ha. Yes, you have to hook their interest so that they are on the same page with you when it comes time to setup your 200 reef tank.

Fish only tanks are cool, and cheaper, I think it just depends on your taste preference. I would ditch the bio balls for sure, just make sure you have a decent amount of live rock and get rid of them slowly, allowing your tank time to adjust.

He already has a 180 reef tank why would he just upgrade to a 200? He would need to upgrade to at least a 240, if not larger, when it comes time to replacing the 180! (laugh)

I would recommend removing the bioballs too and using an oversized skimmer, bigger the better. I don't think it's possible to overskim a tank, especially a FOWLR tank.