WTB Camera

Bitricker

I said I was really not out to offend anyone.

Completely not offended, just talking shop ;)

In my opinion you can get the best image sensor the world has to offer but if it comes through a sub par lens then that is what you're photo will be.

I've never noticed Nikon lens to be that supperior to Canon lens, maybe it's that the sensor just can't capture all the beauty of the lens. (naughty)(laugh)(laugh)(whistle)

Naw I'm the first to admit the kit lens that comes with Canon cameras is crap. That is part of why they are so cheap IMO. They know they got you in for another grand easy for the lens, possibly three or four depending on what you want to shoot.

I think that goes both ways, and has been for many many moons now. It's like the Mac/PC debate. Both are good products.

And yes Rebels are much easier for for the common consumer to use, as I said they were not released as a Pro DSLR but a camera for the everyday user.

To be honest I don't think most people should buy rebels. I think a nicer point and shoot will give the average person on this site a better chance at capturing what they want for far less money. There is the convience part of it to, last thing I want to carry when I climb Everest, or hit the bar with the homies, is a 20 lbs bag of camera gear, then have to recreate moments because my zoom was on the camera and I needed the wide angle. The point and shoot just fits in the pocket.

JMO.

To be honest with you I have only had the opportunity to shoot with a Nikon lens that is of high enough quality to say I really noticed a difference, Nikon 200-400mm f/4G lens (not mine) and a Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 ED AF-S(drooler)

I agree with you there though, you may look really cool with that big huge camera with the add on battery pack, huge lens and a top of the line flash at your buddies wedding or your nieces b-day, but you will look like nothing but a dork at a local bar and 3 days into a long hike when you are hucking 200.00 lenses off a cliff just to save weight it won't be so cool either.

However even an intermediate DSLR will allow you to do the long range and close up photography that a point and shoot will not allow. It just comes back down to how serious you want to get with it.

I am strongly recommending the Panasonic Lumix series, compare features between the different series and find the best, remember Newegg.

But know that I have this opinion having not owned any other point and shoot in years. Just because they have been so great to me in the past. My favorite is the DMC-TZ3, I love everything about it, but you can't zoom while in the middle of videos, the DMC-TZ4 does let you do that but has a really dummied down setting menu, which does not allow for as many manual settings.