WTB Camera

Bitricker

Hey all I'm going to be looking for a new camera as the g/f filled the old one with sand DOH!. I'm not really up on what constitutes a nice camera these days but I know I want to go fairly high end. If anyone has anything they want to part with or just has some advice let me know. post here or just give me a call.

- Tony

503-990-2349 (it's a Salem number)

i second the dslr!! i picked up a nikon D5000 a few months ago and love it! heres a pic i put together from last night...

11043_1264306813994_1419465391_30763721_1483150_n.jpg

VERY, VERY COOL!!!

That would make a great wall picture! I can see that on my wall now!

Any idea what it would cost to have a larger one printed?

Intersted in finding out.

you might consider asking some questions and doing some searching into what lenses will be best for your needs. Somethimes the kit lenses are not always the best option and are kind of General purpose lenses. It is sometimes best to buy just the camera body and then get the lenses that will be best for your needs.

Truthfully the Nikon d40 is one of the best and practically priced Nikon cameras period. It is I believe a 6 mp. There really is no need to go much higher then that unless you plan to make huge photos. The great thing about Nikon is that they have some of the greatest lenses made out of everyone. But if you don't want to pay top dollar for a Nikon lens you can buy off brands as well, some of which are really nice.

The great thing about the Lumix series is that they have video that is amazing quality as well. Just remember that with the DSLR it is not the camera that is expensive it is the lenses that you will need to buy and the flashes that rack up the cost, but you can do that over time.

Just my opinion but I would never own a Rebel' date=' well truth be told I would never own a Canon, other then my trusty 35mm. Rebels though are the wal-mart of cameras.[/quote']

I must have the walmart camera then. My rebel has been faithfully shooting great pics (IMO) for about 8 years now. It was the only affordable DSLR on the market at the time. (Canon beat Nikon to the market by about a year) I'll likely upgrade soon as it is only 6.3 Megapixel but when I do it will be another Rebel.

i second the dslr!! i picked up a nikon D5000 a few months ago and love it! heres a pic i put together from last night...

11043_1264306813994_1419465391_30763721_1483150_n.jpg

Oh, I don't know you but I think I hate you:p. I've been (drooler) over a Nikon D3 since the day they had the press release! Being laid off sucks! I have two 8gig cf cards ready, among some other small stuff just waiting on a shelf until I get it. If the economy would have waited another 6 months I would have had it(sad)

The rebel's are about $100 cheaper than comparable Nikon's for a reason. I know a guy that works for Best Buy service and he says they see twice as many rebels come in for repair as Nikons. Nikon lenses are much better as well. They have strong background in optics, Binoculars, and Video. I dont see any Cannon Optics or Scopes at the shooting range or hunting. I also know two professional photographers that will only use Nikon products.

I must have the walmart camera then. My rebel has been faithfully shooting great pics (IMO) for about 8 years now. It was the only affordable DSLR on the market at the time. (Canon beat Nikon to the market by about a year) I'll likely upgrade soon as it is only 6.3 Megapixel but when I do it will be another Rebel.

No offense meant Rick, the Canon Rebel was not released to be a professional DSLR but a simplified version for everyday users. I was just saying that with all the different pro DSLR cameras available it may be a better option.

IME, which is more then most, the Canon Rebel line is pretty awesome. As far as it not being a "professional line", I am a professional, my studio uses rebels. We used to use Nikon D1X's, but find that for print quality Rebels are better. As far as Rebels not being able to print large photo's, I might agree with that to a bit. The largest I have printed was a 4 foot by 8 foot print, but it was fine. I might not use it for a billboard. That print was made from a Jpeg shot on the original Rebel a.k.a 300D.

As for the Rebels not holding up, I can only speak of my experience. I have taken a couple hundred thousand images on a rebel, rebel XT, and rebel XTI. Doing the type of work I do I take a lot of images, sometimes over 10,000 a week. I have not had a Rebel shutter die on me yet. JME

Personally I prefer Canon's, I did make the switch from Nikon as I was disappointed with the print quality and color output from the Nikon files. When I made the switch I was also not to fond of there sensor design or the amplifiers used. They may have fixed that now, I have not checked into it.

IMO the main advantage to Nikon's is the wireless link to there flash line. With the Canon cameras you need to buy external gear which is expensive.

Personally as a professional photographer with 12 years experience, the camera I take places is a Sony point and shoot. It does have the option for lens add ons. It also has the option for a water proof case. You could get the camera I have, a telephoto lens, a wide angle lens, macro is included, an external flash, and an underwater case for scuba for about a grand. Compare that with a "professional DSLR", a professional telephoto lens, a professional macro, a professional wide angle, a professional mid range, and external flash, I'm well over 5G's already.

Just saying, the little point and shoot cameras can be pretty incredible if you take the time to look at them. The sony's come with a full manual mode, which shows the exposure of the image if it were shot as it would be on the screen. I wish my 5D did that.

The other advantage with consumer camera's is they are made for the average person, you won't have to take a class or 3 to figure out how to use it, just spend a day or two with the manual.

JMO

Wow, I seem to have pulled the short and curly's here. I am glad to hear that you guys are so happy with your cameras and as I said I was really not out to offend anyone.

Just posting my opinion. I have been doing photography both as a professional and as a hobbyist for around 12 years. In my opinion you can get the best image sensor the world has to offer but if it comes through a sub par lens then that is what you're photo will be. And for the record I never said anything about Rebels not being able to make large photos, that clearly has nothing to do with the maker but with the max resolution of the image sensor.

If that is what works for you guys then awesome, stick with it. I will admit that Canon has come out with some nice stuff since I last held one, but nothing that would persuade me to switch. And yes Rebels are much easier for for the common consumer to use, as I said they were not released as a Pro DSLR but a camera for the everyday user.

I'm learning a lot from this thread as well, but I am a beginner (at best) with cameras. This might sound like a really stupid question, but what does DSLR stand for? I'm also in the market to buy a new camera for the same reason as bitricker! Took our point and shoot to the beach and got sand in it! Now I want to upgrade and get something that I can use to take good pictures of my tank and family with. Thanks everyone!