What a difference

CA2OR

So it is crazy. I have been messing around with this camera for about 2 weeks now....just a cell phone camera and have gotten some crazy pictures. But I can't get over how different corals look when shot in negative compared to normal. Then again in negative between lights on, off, or only actinic's.

Torch

normal

1108091452.jpg

negatives

1108091441.jpg

1105090224b.jpg

Toadstool

normal

1105091537d.jpg

negative

1108091443a.jpg

Devils Hand

normal

1103091613.jpg

negative

1108091443.jpg

Fungia

Normal

1108091452a.jpg

negative

1105091854.jpg

Frogspawn

normal

1105091537b.jpg

negative

1105090227.jpg

Duncan's

normal

1105091536a.jpg

negatives

1105090223c.jpg

1105091752a.jpg

Why do some pick up some crazy colors while others dont in negative?

So it is crazy. I have been messing around with this camera for about 2 weeks now....just a cell phone camera and have gotten some crazy pictures. But I can't get over how different corals look when shot in negative compared to normal. Then again in negative between lights on, off, or only actinic's.

Torch

normal

Why do some pick up some crazy colors while others dont in negative?

They don't. Negative is just what it sounds like. Blues will be yellow and vice versa. Black will be white, etc. Here are your first 2 pics above inverted. At first glance they will look the same but if you compare the pics you will see that they are now swapped. (The normal pic you displayed above is inverted to be negative in these) Personally I prefer to shoot all normal and then create a negative from that if I want the special effect. That way it's easier to see what the picture was actually of to start.

post-5811-141867750404_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867750407_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't know.

Does the camera make a big difference in pictures....I mean of course it does, but where is the biggest difference

I know only too well. I've spend a couple of grand on Photoshop alone through the years.

The better the picture is to start with the easier it is to work with. For the camera it can be broken down into two parts. The camera itself which in the case of digital photography comes down to the resolution (in general a higher resolution is better provided the quality of the electronics is good) and options available (SLR's give you the ability to swap lenses and have more options to adjust aperture, shutter, etc.). The second part is the lense itself. The higher the quality of the lense the better the picture will be to start. It isn't unusual to see a high quality loense that costs 2 grand. None of this is entirely necessary to take an award winning photo but it does help. Taking a great photo is more about what effect the picture has when it's viewed. One instance is the picture you took of Snowpunks dog. While the quality of the picture was sub par the awe effect made up for it given the audience that was viewing it. Since you seem to be enjoying amateur photography I would suggest stepping up to a used DSLR in the 6 to 10 megapixel range. In program mode they are just as easy to use as the cell phone and then you can do a little reading on the aperture and shutter speeds to play with those settings to see what effects they have. Faster shutter speeds can stop motion (both in the tank and camera movement) while slower ones can be used to convey movement. (a fish streaking past the camera for instance) Aperture can be adjusted to make the entire picture sharp or so that a particular range is sharp (you narrow the depth of field to the particular range you want) while the rest is out of focus. This effect is kind of like putting a spotlight on a subject because it draws the eyes to the sharper portion of the image. You can probably pick up a decent DSLR used for around $300 with a zoom lense that goes from around 28mm to 85mm which is good enough for most of the tank shots you will take. From there you can add or rent lenses. BTW, Amateur photography is a perfect compliment to this hobby as I'm sure your finding out.

Or if you really want to learn the fundamentals, get yourself a Pentax K1000. It's my favorite old school film SLR. I knew mine so well that even when the batteries went dead I was still able to pull out great shots. You can get one used in good shape for around $100. I only made the jump to digital because I went into graphic design and needed the instant image.

You can even use darkrooms by the hour at U Develop on Barber... kinda pricy but they even have color developing machines. So cool

Or if you really want to learn the fundamentals, get yourself a Pentax K1000. It's my favorite old school film SLR. I knew mine so well that even when the batteries went dead I was still able to pull out great shots. You can get one used in good shape for around $100. I only made the jump to digital because I went into graphic design and needed the instant image.

You can even use darkrooms by the hour at U Develop on Barber... kinda pricy but they even have color developing machines. So cool

Wow, now your bringing back old memories. I use to have one as a backup camera 20 years ago or so. It grew legs along with a Canon T90 and about $1000 (at that time) worth of filters and lenses that were in the bag with it and disappeared. I wasn't too happy about it.

Either Rick or Grassi have any suggestions on "things to know/consider" when chosing a used camera.

One thing I just ran across and would not think about is it seems some cameras have a max number of acuations or something like that, basiclly how many times the shutter is clicked???

Any ideas where one may look. My digi cam I can mess with shutter speed, aperture etc but it only has the one fixed lense.

Not bad. Back up a little to get more in the pic. About like the second to the last picture. The background should add perspective to the main focus of the picture.

I will try that. Thanks for the hints

hey there Eric... those are nice zoas you posted a pic of!! Are those new ones??

yeah got them yesterday. I am really liking them.

I have a Pentax k100d and love it. For the money its hard to beat. And with Pentax you can use any of their lenses. And you can find some nice used lenses for cheap. The only ones that need adapters are the older screw in ones. Here are some of the better programs Ive found to edit: photoshop CS3 (general editing), Hugin (for stiching photos together), and photomatrix (To made HDR images). I think the last 2 are still free to download.

I like to play with selective coloring

2822050505_d4108695f2_o.jpg

And HDR images

2822886266_4c23d5f99e_o.jpg