phosban reactors?

gradth

I have been considering getting one. My nitrates according to my test kits are less then 5ppm, but I am still battling a little bit of hair algae. It does not seem to be growing still, but I have a few patches of stuff that just seems to be hanging out. I have read that algae will give a false reading since it is sucking up nutrients. I have to clean my glass at least every other day, not bad but its noticable.

Would a phosban reactor help out, if so, what is a good one for 180 tank? Dont want anything overly fancy or expensive.

I would bet it's Nitrate not phos if your getting good coral growth and or coraline algae then your phos are probly fine but beings you show Nitrate even at low amounts this will feed byropsiss, a few things I would do before buying a reactor is check your water source to make sure its not adding any nutrients and also whats the fish load on the system? you may just need to cut back on your feeding and it may solve the problem or change foods.

My water is RODI, so the water according to my TDS meter is good.

What is a good phosphate test kit. Dont have one. I think im getting my nitrates and phosphates mixed up. Its my understanding that algae will give a false phosphate reading since they are eating up the extra nutrients.

SO if I have excess algae, its phosphates not nitrates? I have cut back feeding quite a bit, much to my blue jaw triggers dislike. The system is barely over 6 months old, so I know im gonna have some battles, just getting into corals a bit and want to make sure I dont kill them.

What kind/manufacturer of test kits do you buy? Feeding wont have much to do with phosphates I dont think' date=' over feeding will have an adverse affect on your nitrates. Do you have a pic of your tank and filter you can show us with some discription of it?[/quote']

I have API, nitrates, ph, nitrites and ammonia. IO for calcium, alk.

Check my sig for my tank.

180 gal, 55 gal sump. ASM g3 skimmer with gatevalve mod. Refugium, I use a filter sock, and running carbon.

Calcium has always been good, Alk I have been kinda battling keeping that up, but its not low.

Everyone and everything in the tank seem healthy, SPS and zoas seem to be growing well. Fish are happy. Had some issues with snails dying off a few months back, but I think that was do to summer temps. Have not tried any turbos since then.

Like I said, I dont have a huge problem, just some hair algae that wont go away.

TRIM the algae in your refugeum Think twice about adding any chemical when everything is happy and growing. Filter sock change one a week wether clogged or not. Vacuum out sump detris. A little larger water change or more frequently will help everything.

I have API, nitrates, ph, nitrites and ammonia. IO for calcium, alk.

Check my sig for my tank.

180 gal, 55 gal sump. ASM g3 skimmer with gatevalve mod. Refugium, I use a filter sock, and running carbon.

Calcium has always been good, Alk I have been kinda battling keeping that up, but its not low.

Everyone and everything in the tank seem healthy, SPS and zoas seem to be growing well. Fish are happy. Had some issues with snails dying off a few months back, but I think that was do to summer temps. Have not tried any turbos since then.

Like I said, I dont have a huge problem, just some hair algae that wont go away.

What brand of carbon are you running. I know some will leach phosphates, especially those for the residential water treatment trade. If you get a test kit for phosphates I would definitely test carbon, even post carbon on R/O filters leach it. Its why I take mine off straight off the membrane. However with you running DI thats kinda not an issue.

Most of the color indicating phosphate tests don't really go low enough IMO. By the time they read 0, you could be still too high, unless there is a kit I dont know about. (been quite some time since Ive shopped for them) The colormeter ones are really the way to go, but expensive.

Nitrate will feed algae as well as Phosphates but Phos will inhibit coral growth which I think you would notice, and you are correct if you have algae growth your parameters may be higher then it tests and being you show Nitrate I expect its higher as well but this is fairly normal for a mostly fish populated system's you could try a sea hair to see if it will remedy your issue I don't believe you need to spend the money on a reactor of either type but thats my OP.