420nm or 460nm?

finch6013

I will be adding two 65w actinic CF bulbs to my 250w sunpod soon and cant decide on a bulb. Do I get the 420nm or the 460nm? I am mostly doing this to add more blue to the tank even though I am using a pheonix 14k. I like to have just the actinics on at times to view the corals colors and to help then show a littlw more with the halide on. I am thinking that the 420nm' are kinda purple? and wouldn't add much light. Also if anyone has a brand suggestion let me know.

No suggestion on brand however the choice between them comes down to the color. I like the extra pop from the flourescent corals that the 420 provide however it is closer to the UV spectrum and therefore is more purple as mentioned. 460 will still give some pop from the colors although using it do so if you already have 14k MH will probably be a disappointment as the color they usually provide is about the same. Another option would be to run both. That may give a more balanced mix to keep the purple from being too overpowering while still putting the extra pop into the colors.

Thanks I kinda figured that but wasn't sure. I used to run giessman blue plus bulbs as actinic and had good color. I am mostly adding this to bring more light and a little more blue to the tank. I was hoping that the cf's would help with some of the shadow spots such. Your probably right about my 14k. It does already make the colors look pretty good.