DIY Dosing pumps

Rick

This is my DIY Kalk Reactor I have it on a digital timer that comes on once every 6 hrs for about 5 mins and activates both PH's to mix the Kalk up - this is tied to my ATO.

kalk.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

Had to redo the top and added a BH with a clean-out plug so I could just open it and add mixed kalk back into it. I even made a acrylic wrench for the clean-out plug got tired of "looking" for something to use to open it

Nice. Is there a reason for 2 pumps other than for the volume? I have a 4" tube that's 14" long (part of a broken skimmer I had given to me) that I'm thinking about using with a powerhead (About 280 GPH). For the top and bottom plates I was thinking I may just pick up a few of the pre-cut disks at tap plastics. Not sure yet on what to use to turn the dosing on and off though. I plan to turn it on/off as needed to keep PH consistant.

I wonder if I could just position it up higher than the pump and put an electric valve in to gravity feed since it will just be a drip?

That'll work and not, with the kalk rector sitting higher the water will siphon back thru the pump. But since it sitting higher, all you need is a float switch to activate a relay to turn this in-line valve on and off (NC) (bad pix sorry)

IMG_5740.jpg

I use 2 PH's cause the tube is 6" dia and 26" tall, not including the base and the flanges

That'll work and not, with the kalk rector sitting higher the water will siphon back thru the pump. But since it sitting higher, all you need is a float switch to activate a relay to turn this in-line valve on and off (NC) (bad pix sorry)

I use 2 PH's cause the tube is 6" dia and 26" tall, not including the base and the flanges

I assume the float switch is to allow top of water to enter the reactor? Is it necessary to hook it to a top off tank or can it be run without?

Well, you'll need a tank (trash can, rubber maid tub) to store the ro/di water it's not reconmended to hook straight to the ro/di unit, TDS Creep.

It can be hooked up without the tank - but you'll run low and have the chance of dosing straight kalk into the tank - cause a nice white cloud and precipitate on your pumps and heaters.

just my .002