Any cheap method for making RO?

CA2OR

Well, we get our water from rivers and streams so if we lesson the demand on these rivers and such it benefits the natural environment. Like I said it's a drop in the bucket compared to the whole scheme of things but every little bit helps. Just like having one tank raised coral frag to sell helps the natural reef, not in a huge way but all the little good deeds combined makes a bigger difference.

Now if your trying to get a rise out of me for the questions and comments I've made about the tank you were going to build, that's a bit childish! I was saving you from a true financial and embarrassing event, it wasnt to make you look bad or sound stupid.

This has nothing to do with that thread. When I was your age I may have done differently however at my age I've figured out that sometimes it's better to just drop an arguement than it is to be right. Enough said about that as it isn't relevant here. If I felt it was that important I would have sent you a PM. This is about a claim that your method is better for the environment than what myself and many others use which I still don't understand. If anything we actually remove a miniscul amount of pollutants in the end by filtering it out. 100% of the rest all eventually ends up right back where we got it from minus that small amount that we took out with the filters.

This has nothing to do with that thread. When I was your age I may have done differently however at my age I've figured out that sometimes it's better to just drop an arguement than it is to be right. Enough said about that as it isn't relevant here. If I felt it was that important I would have sent you a PM. This is about a claim that your method is better for the environment than what myself and many others use which I still don't understand. If anything we actually remove a miniscul amount of pollutants in the end by filtering it out. 100% of the rest all eventually ends up right back where we got it from minus that small amount that we took out with the filters.

Sorry that I read something into what you had written! As for me thinking my method is better, that's far from the truth, I didn't put anyone down for how they do things, I was simply responding to the thread and was stating how I do things and the benefits/reasoning for me to do it the way I do, and that you dont nessesarly need a RO membrane, the DI works beautifully without the waste water. ( I undrestand that its not actually waste water, its drinkable water.)I mean, do you see the logic behind using a low flow shower head? Its not about removing pollutants from the environment!

I would need you to show me how to work it....sorry no experience with those things as of yet. Sounds good though' date=' we will have to talk and sort something out.[/quote']

If it's like mine (Which is also a portable) then you simply screw an adapter onto the faucet that has a valve on it (unscrew the screen the faucet has on it and put it into a drawer to replace when you disconnect it to move). The water supply line to the unit is then attached to this.

Then run one line (supply) into a bucket (I have mine run around the room and it hangs on the shower curtain rods). Put the bucket into the bathtub so that it will overflow down the drain when it gets full instead of the floor. (as someone above mentioned that part is important)

The last line is the waste water which I just have tied to the line from the faucet so it returns into the sink drain. (If you want to use the waste water for other things the line could go out a window or something)

That takes care of hooking it up. Then just turn on the cold water (not the hot water) and use the valve/adapter to divert the flow to the unit and open the valve between the unit and the bucket. That's all there is to it.

Store the water somewhere inside the house to keep the temperature at room temp otherwise you will need to heat the water before you use it. (Cold water dumped into the tank will kill things fast as my brother can attest to)

Looks a little daunting at first but once you look at it for a couple of minutes it will become clear as to how it gets hooked up (Basically 3 lines). FWIW, I think the portable would be perfect for you due to the space limitations and being able to easily take it with you whenever you move to a new place.

I plan to run a "zero waste system" on mine once I can get Joe to help me install it but thats another story lol and they are not cheap and reef165 is right it all has a domino affect on the environment and all we can do only helps. But I do believe you need to bite the bullet and get some sort of RO or DI system just to be safe as the city has been known to add different things at different times of year including copper and fluoride so its best to protect your investment then air on trying to save money as it can just end up costing you more.

Maybe next week I'll come out and do that for ya if your not busy too. :)

I agree on what you posted BTW, my larger view of a zero waste is someone on city water with quite a lot of topoff water going on. 3-1 is about where you will be on waste to ro water. My tank right now evaps about 3-4 gallons a day, so thats 12 down the drain. I know some places, water isn't exactly cheap, and I'm sure summer time it will be more like 15-20 gallons a day down the drain. Since I'm on a well, I could care less so it goes right out to my field, but if I was in the city I would definitely use a zero waste system.