Salt Mixes...whats everybody using?

drock59

It sounds like Borneman's salt study likes Red Sea salt too. Check out some early details

Thanks for the link Andy. The last post made by Eric in that thread was 2 weeks ago. Do you or anybody else know where more information may be found??

thx

Even though on that VERY partial data discussed in that thread, no real conclusions can be made......but what caught my eye was the comments made about the differences between IO and reef crystals. I DO use reef crystals, but i have always been told that the only difference is a tiny bit more Calcium and mag............what i heard there suggested the differences are quite a bit more than just that.

Yeah, a teaser. According to Sea Salts, Part Two: The M.A.R.S.H. Salt Study

These results will first be presented for consideration in a peer-reviewed journal and then written as a series of articles for aquarium magazines around the world.

So we'll have to wait a while before we see the results. Any biologists out there have any idea on what journal they'll likely submit to?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tested the differences between Oceanpure Pro and Oceanpure? Ive been using the Oceanpure for some time and levels seem to be in check. What is the difference between the labeling? I know there is the Pro out there I just have never seen it. Later Ryan

The only difference in packaging between Oceanpure and Oceanpure Pro is a little sticker on the side that says "Pro". I have one of the Pro buckets in at the shop.

As far Magnesium Sulfate causing Ionic inbalance. It can but so can Magnesium Chloride so you have to be careful with the additives you are using in your tank. I would say that if you are using Calcium Chloride in your tank you would want to use Magnesium Sulfate as the additive. That way you are balancing the chlorides and sulfates in your aquarium.

Arent there balanced additives for both calcium and magnesium?

I have decided to go with a 50/50 mix of Oceanic and IO. Seems like some people get good results from it. Not to mention that if I get a bad batch of one or the other, it will only be half as bad. :)

how so? It costs a fortune for mag supplements unless you are able to find some Magflake around.

Ryan at advanced in Salem has the best magnesium around, much cheaper and much better quality magnesium 98% pure instead of epsom thats around 48-50% if I remember corectly. I bet the 10 pounds I got will last me years,, and it was $25 for 2 5# bags If I remember correctly, just remember its 98% so you dont need much.

Ryan at advanced in Salem has the best magnesium around, much cheaper and much better quality magnesium 98% pure instead of epsom thats around 48-50% if I remember corectly. I bet the 10 pounds I got will last me years,, and it was $25 for 2 5# bags If I remember correctly, just remember its 98% so you dont need much.

Ya but its just magnesium chloride. Its still not balanced or am I wrong?

I was wondering if you tested the Crystal Sea Marine Mix? The last time I tested a salt made by that company it tested at almost half of sea water levels in Calcium, Carbonate and Magnesium. It was horrible to say the least. If you are looking for a cheap salt we sell Oceanpure 150 gallon buckets for $35 to members.

Magnesium chloride would still not be balanced. The key is that if you dose Calcium Chloride you want to dose Magnesium Sulfate. That is why if you look at the Seachem additives for Magnesium they are Magnesium Sulfate because their calcium supplements are calcium chloride. It is designed so that you do not cause an ionic imbalance in your aquarium.

The big problem with those Seachem numbers is that they aren't balanced. If you have high Calcium and High Magnesium it should have high kH also. The other thing to keep in mind is that Seachem uses elevated levels of Borate to boost the pH which will cause the kH readings to be off.

Perfect for those with a reactor.... I use the seachem reefsalt for a while and everything was very nice and my alk was always much higher after my water change due to cal reactor (10.2 dkh like clockwork), but I was paying $60 a bucket, so I opted to go to IO at $32 and dose mag.

I can understand an imbalance if your not doing your water changes but I will put out the argument that if you do water changes regularly you shouldn't have much of a imbalance depending on the percent your doing. Now if your lazy and don't do you water changes... I would be using only to best there is to dose for anything, but I do 10% water changes 4 times a month thats about 40% give or take, as Randy H Farley also shows adding mag sulfite (epsom) on a routine basis with no water changes your levels would be through the roof, but givin routine water changes you can keep those levels in check, within reason and depending on what your dosing... all the time. I mix up my dosing with epsom (dont like it but use it now and then) Ryans mix, and also run Kalk sometimes just to keep calcium balances in check due to using the reactor.

Lots of ways to do it and no real proof of whats good and bad IMO. I would just recommend anyone wishing to experiment or go with dosing to do your water changes, the salt should help keep your balances in check. The only bad effects I had was when I first started balancing mag with epsom, it was a disaster, but mix it up and things do better.

I think this part of the hobby will become much better known in the next year or two.... I hope with all the mag talk on RC and Randy getting really into it. Well see.