Time for a new brand of salt?

puntific

I think the whole salt debate is kinda weird. I believe it all comes down to comforts and willingness of dosing and stuff like that. I use TM and TMPR and I have zero complaints. I have been using it since getting into salt' date=' except when using SCRIPTS water and I have never had an issue with low anything.[/quote']

I have to disagree with you CA2OR, If I start at 1.025 and then add a ton of MgSO4 to get the Mag up and a ton of CaCL2 for Ca or Ca(OH)2 for ALk/Ca, then my SG isn't 1.025 anymore. It's 1.028. I don't think my corals and fish are very comfortable with that! It answers the question: Why do I have such trouble adding fish?"

puntific

Eric, you did say it all came down to willingness to do needed dosing which I took to mean additives to correct the levels. What I am observing is that using too much additives takes your SG from 1.025 to something that is too high. I think this makes it a pretty relevant discussion and not weird.

I didn't disagree with the second half of your statement, which was a statement on your experience.

I used to use Reef Crystals and Kent back in the day and basically alternated them. I've been using seachem Marinesalt since I haven't had to pay for it but Im not happy with the KH being so low. I do think I'm going to go back to my old ways once I get my tank replaced!

Eric, you did say it all came down to willingness to do needed dosing which I took to mean additives to correct the levels. What I am observing is that using too much additives takes your SG from 1.025 to something that is too high. I think this makes it a pretty relevant discussion and not weird.

I didn't disagree with the second half of your statement, which was a statement on your experience.

How doe's adding additives raise your specific gravity?

How doe's adding additives raise your specific gravity?

Any chemicals added can effect the SG as SG isn't just a product of the salt itself but rather is a result of the entire chemical makeup of the water. Anything added that ends up suspended in the water is going to have either a negative or positive impact on the SG unless it weighs exactly the same as what the water does before it's added. Valid arguement although it's questionable as to whether it effects it enough for us to be concerned unless we are dosing huge amounts.

1) My understanding is the majority of these salts are all made from basically from one distributor...

2) Ridiculous to pay for this and get these inconsistencies...

3) Stuff we pay for but can't test for are thrown in to simulate parameters...

4) I figured if I am paying this much for this hobby and reef keeping is mostly taking care of water, why not buy the BEST!!!...I splurge and use gettanked salt which is hand packed, hand measured salt.

Every container bag has been spot on and crystal clear...

DrMerle

1) My understanding is the majority of these salts are all made from basically from one distributor...

2) Ridiculous to pay for this and get these inconsistencies...

3) Stuff we pay for but can't test for are thrown in to simulate parameters...

4) I figured if I am paying this much for this hobby and reef keeping is mostly taking care of water, why not buy the BEST!!!...I splurge and use gettanked salt which is hand packed, hand measured salt.

Every container bag has been spot on and crystal clear...

DrMerle

I have heard the same lol

Well, SG includes MgSO4 and if you are dumping whole cartons of the stuff in to get the MG up, then you are going to raise the SG. Now, I have not done a before and after test specifically, but made certain assumptions based on how long I've been using this low Mg salt and how much MgSO4 (which is, by definition, a salt.)

• 10 months later...

proof is always in the pudding, i read and decipher what i want to believe vs what i have experienced and what others have shared. information decades old is very much still a great resource regardless, anyone who reads anything and takes it verbatim without applying their own knowledge, skepticism and common sense deserves the problems they experience. :)