Time for a new brand of salt?

puntific

So I mixed up a batch of Crystal Sea Marine Mix Salt.

Specific gravity: 1.025 using a refractometer

dKH = 2.97 so far so good

Ca = <300 I was going to fast... but <300!

Mg = 720! (learned my lesson and went drop by drop

This is terrible! (or am I wrong?)

I've been dosing my tank with Kalkwasser and also adding Epsom salts to boost Mg. Then I bought the refractometer and discovered the specific gravity:

Tank stats:

Specific gravity: 1.028! Whoops. glad to know. Helps to have a real tool.

did water change to slowly work it down. After change:

dKH = 2.63

CA = 360

Mg = 1260

So it looks like when I do a water change, i put in new water without enough CA and Mg. Then I correct with Epsom salts and CaCl2 and Kalkwasser (depending on dKH) and my specific gravity goes though the roof.

Sooooooo......

What water do you use? Time for me to switch?

puntific

Let me guess? Seahorse? I use to use that salt and the calcium was way low. (Lower 300's) Somewhere I have a chart here that compares the levels of several salts that matches this as well (Low Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium). I switched to Ocean Pure 4 or 5 months ago which is still a cheaper salt but the levels are much better. I haven't had to dose anything other than Alk which was due to high calcium levels that I believe were due to new sand I added rather than the salt.

I use Kent when I mix up a batch that matches my tanks SG of 1.025 the mixed water tests

Ca-500

KH -11

MG -1200

I add some Mag sulfate from BRS and all is good.

49.99 makes 200 gallons

Works just fine- IMO-way to many product lines in this hobby (nutty)

Just got some oceanpure to replace pci marine mix (terrible salt!).

Here are the results for a batch that I made last night:

SG 1.025

Temp 78

Cal - 400

Alk - 10

Mag - 1320

I was getting around this for PCI:

Cal - 350

Alk - 5 or 6

Mag - 900

DOH!

I use Kent when I mix up a batch that matches my tanks SG of 1.025 the mixed water tests

Ca-500

KH -11

MG -1200

I add some Mag sulfate from BRS and all is good.

49.99 makes 200 gallons

Works just fine- IMO-way to many product lines in this hobby (nutty)

I used to use Crystal Sea Marine Mix as well. Once I started testing my newly mixed saltwater, I got results very similar to puntific (way too low on alk, ca, mg). I thought about just boosting values with supplements but figured out it was cheaper just to buy a different kind of salt! I switched to Kent and have consistently gotten figures similar to Byrd's. Mag is a little on the low side (so I supplement), but it is pretty consistent and the tank seems happy.

The other thing to remember is that if you are mixing up salt with a SG of 1.025 and getting those low values for alk, ca, and mg, then the salt has lots of some other kinds of elements in order to reach that SG. What is it? Is it desireable? It is certainly not consistent with natural seawater!

I think the whole salt debate is kinda weird. I believe it all comes down to comforts and willingness of dosing and stuff like that. I use TM and TMPR and I have zero complaints. I have been using it since getting into salt, except when using SCRIPTS water and I have never had an issue with low anything.