I'm new here...howdy...here's what I have so far

Little Lucy 27

I have recently set up my 75 gallon..I have a very limited budget (unemployed ;-{ ) but I needed something to fight depression and have been wanting to set up a saltwater tank for a loooong time. I had a 100 gallon SW tank for years many years ago but life and three children took priority. So I am back at it and my how things have changed!

75 gallon TruVu

18 gallon sump/refugium

1 crappy skimmer

sand bed

dead rock

6 green chromis

Lawnmower Blenny (Vinny)

4 Nassarius snails

8 hermit crabs

three mushrooms, blue, watermellon and green pimply with two white ones on same frag rock that I think will color up...I love surprises :-)

I am working on better lighting but for now

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/album.php?albumid=102

post-6039-14186777939_thumb.jpg

Hi, Thanks CCR..

It has been set up about two months. No I didn't add live rock or sand. I set it up and let it run empty for about a month and then I added the Chromis and Blenny. I have been testing and doing ok so far. Not great, but ok. I put in a phosphate remover in a sock in the sump along with Carbon as my Phosphates are high, I am told by my LFS due to the rock. I bought a used tank that had been sitting dry for a bit and used the sand and rock from it after rinsing for ever. I have a small ball of Chaeto in the sump that I just added a couple of days ago and have done several 20% water changes. I had the skimmer going but it whacked out the other night and just filled up with water. I am orking that out :-)

The lights are three 48" shop lights and one 48" Blue light. I understand this is ok for fish and a lot of soft corals and since I am on a tight budget until I get back to work I don't see much of an urgency at the moment. So how am I doing so far? What should I be doing additionally? I am trying to some LR rubble to put in the sump with the rock there to get things going...kind of the GARTH idea.

Thanks!

Lisa

post-6039-141867750365_thumb.jpg

jgf86123 :I am working out the "let's not dump water on the floor when things go wrong" thing. You know...if the power goes out etc...lol...can anyone look at the pics in the link and tell me if the return area seems low compared to the rest of the sump? I think the return pump is faster than the overflow...if I fill up the sump though then it will overflow should the power go out...man! so much to learn. to be honest I took forever hooking it up because I was afraid of it...lol...the sump has only been running about a week.

I love this site!!

Is there a locater to see who is in Wa and who is in Or?

reef165: here is a close up and I think you are correct on the "Birds Nest" coral

post-6039-141867750367_thumb.jpg

Welcome. I would do a couple of things. First either go buy or perhaps trade someone for a piece of Live Rock. Doesn't need to be huge but it will help to seed the rest. Also drop by an LFS and see if they will give you some Live Sand. Don't know about the Seattle area but in the Portland area most of them will give you enough to seed the tank.

Regarding the sump, pump, and return. Do you know how many GPH the pump puts out, or provide the make/model and someone here probably knows? Next how large is the drain/drains? It's critical that the drain handle the volume of the pump as you probably know. (I found this out the hard way on my first tank) Once you get that squared away you can get just enough water to get it running and then shut the system down (assuming the return lines are high enough) letting the water drain back into the sump. After the water stops draining into it then you can fill the sump up to a level your comfortable with. Then start the system back up and after the display fills back up put a mark on the side of the sump to indicate the "safe" running level. (I actually have a strip of duct tape at the fill level) Doing this allows you to add top off water without shutting everything down. Note that this only protects you from flooding when the power fails. If you only have one drain coming from the tank there is also the chance that something will partially plug the drain which will cause the tank to overflow. Because of this it's advisable to have a backup drain installed as well that can handle the flow if the primary drain ever gets plugged. Hope this isn't confusing and will help sort out those issues.

Rick, thanks :-) I have no idea what GPH the drain is on the overflow. It would be hard pressed to clog as it is a long standpipe with many slits cut in it all over and is covered on both sides by a very porous sponge....I have two wholes drilled in the return hose just at the level the tanks is now. I had to make them larger as the first two I drilled plugged themselves and did not stop anything...lol...the return pump is an Eheim 1050 which is no longer made and I am having a hard time locating a replacement impeller...it is working but I have to fiddle with the impeller to get it going again after I turn it off..

Thanks so much!!

Lisa

Rick, thanks :-) I have no idea what GPH the drain is on the overflow. It would be hard pressed to clog as it is a long standpipe with many slits cut in it all over and is covered on both sides by a very porous sponge....I have two wholes drilled in the return hose just at the level the tanks is now. I had to make them larger as the first two I drilled plugged themselves and did not stop anything...lol...the return pump is an Eheim 1050 which is no longer made and I am having a hard time locating a replacement impeller...it is working but I have to fiddle with the impeller to get it going again after I turn it off..

Thanks so much!!

Lisa

Can you measure the diameter on the pipe for the drain? I can probably figure out the pipe size from that. It looks like the pump is about 320 GPH but that will decrease some with the head height (distance it has to push the water uphill). Even a 3/4" drain should handle that which would be smaller than most so that probably isn't an issue.

hmm...I am thinking...(can be dangerous) I have one U-tube siphon from the overflow box to the drain. It is the type that does not lose siphon in that it is in a perpetually full compartment that then dumps over into the drain area...perhaps I should put a second siphon U-tube there? more flow urh urh urh :-) (that was a Tim Allen quote in case you missed it)

Thank you Michael :-)

hmm...I am thinking...(can be dangerous) I have one U-tube siphon from the overflow box to the drain. It is the type that does not lose siphon in that it is in a perpetually full compartment that then dumps over into the drain area...perhaps I should put a second siphon U-tube there? more flow urh urh urh :-) (that was a Tim Allen quote in case you missed it)

Thank you Michael :-)

Couldn't hurt. That type of overflow is very reliable if it's set up right. Make sure neither end is too close to the bottom as that can limit the flow. (Sometimes one end is longer and if it's backwards one end will block some flow)

1" should be plenty if it's the inside diameter. If it's outside then it is probably okay as well if the pipe isn't too thick.

I would always recommend a second tube in an overflow of that type. I honestly recommend a drilled tank but that kind of overflow is where I started too. Just make sure it is set up so that you can't get any snails or anything else that could plug that drain.

I am in Washington, in Castle Rock. I am planning a trip up that way before too long, I would love to swing in and do a meet and greet and maybe I can help you out a little with your setup:) Welcome to the club.