GPH in a 75 gallon?

sharoleb

Don't rely on the return pump for flow in your tank. I have a 75g and I have a K3 and a K4 in it for flow. I would go with maybe 2 K3 for what you are wanting to house. As far as a return pump I run an adjustable Gen-x submersible pump so I can adjust it for sound. I think its a 4100.

Your return pump will be determined more by the drain size than the tank size. You can supplement the return with a closed loop system or power heads. Assuming your drain is 1" it will flow about 750 GPH. That means you would need a pump that puts out that or a little less once the head height is calculated. With a head height of 3 to 4 feet the above mentioned Gen-X 4100 puts out around 700-725 GPH. A Mag 9.5 which is what I currently run puts out just a little more. (I've had both on my tank)

Here is a link to help you figure out the GPH for your pump/drain: http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showpost.php?p=108816&postcount=11

I have a 75 gallon as well, my return pump is 1500gph with head loss Im at about 1050 gph, I also have to MP20's by Ecotech with an adjustable flow of 500-2000 gph- I run theses at about 80% of full . I would shot for at lease a turn over of 15-20x an hour, perhaps more-IMO

I'm sure I may be a little over the edge-LOL

And I am sure there are those here that would agree to that, but we are talking tanks.

If I did it again and money was an issue, I would have stuck to my 3 MJ900 w/ the wave timer I have(and will sell someday). A timer is great and I would suggest it for every tank. The problem is the standard Korallias cant handle the on/off (over time, and you can read on that) of a timer , so your choices are to spend 75 for the ones that can times 3, plus the timer, or use the MaxiJets, or Ecotechs, or others....

Sometimes alot of hardware in your display can be unsitely-personel preference. But for probablly 40-60 bucks for the MJ's and get a good used timer for 40-100 dollars depeneding on bells and whistles your dialed in.

The corals will really thrive in alternating currents-my experiance anyhow

I have a 75 gallon as well, my return pump is 1500gph with head loss Im at about 1050 gph, I also have to MP20's by Ecotech with an adjustable flow of 500-2000 gph- I run theses at about 80% of full . I would shot for at lease a turn over of 15-20x an hour, perhaps more-IMO

I would agree with the turnover rate. I'm at about 26x (About 5000 GPH of turnover for 190g of water) and I still wonder if I have enough.

I'm sure I may be a little over the edge-LOL

If the returns and drains handle the flow then I wouldn't say it was over the edge. As mentioned I wouldn't mind even more flow.

And I am sure there are those here that would agree to that, but we are talking tanks.

If I did it again and money was an issue, I would have stuck to my 3 MJ900 w/ the wave timer I have(and will sell someday). A timer is great and I would suggest it for every tank. The problem is the standard Korallias cant handle the on/off (over time, and you can read on that) of a timer , so your choices are to spend 75 for the ones that can times 3, plus the timer, or use the MaxiJets, or Ecotechs, or others....

Sometimes alot of hardware in your display can be unsitely-personel preference. But for probablly 40-60 bucks for the MJ's and get a good used timer for 40-100 dollars depeneding on bells and whistles your dialed in.

The corals will really thrive in alternating currents-my experiance anyhow

I haven't tried the alternating currents so no opinion there. I do have my powerheads etc. adjusted to both circulate through the entire tank and some of them crash into each other to cause wave like turbulence. (If nothing else this keeps the film from developing on the top of the water)

If I understand correctly the alternating acts like the ebb/flow of the ocean's reef, or like the waves crashing on the shore, a lagoon etc.

I noticed better polyp ext. and growth when I added my wave maker.

Great little addition to the Maxi's or similar powerhead, not the standard or cheaper Korallias, they will break in time w/ a wave maker

If you are mainly going for softies and LPS, I don't think you need that much flow.

A couple of Koralias should be just fine, in addition to the return pump.

In my tank I actually have a hard time finding good real estate for the softer corals that don't like being bashed around by the current! :)