Clear coat paint?

reefgeek84

Guest Mbeef61

i highly doubt they dont have anything....i think there is somethign called poly acrylic that goes over it to protect it...and gives its a nice waterproof finish.

i highly doubt they dont have anything....i think there is somethign called poly acrylic that goes over it to protect it...and gives its a nice waterproof finish.

That is what I thought...But I looked and could not find anything and the guy told me they do not have anything...so I guess I will go back and ask someone else.

Helsman spar varnish is what i like and use to cover paint or stain for anything aquariumwise.

3-6 coats sanding in between each one.....makes a nice finish...........glossy or not depending on whther you use the satin or the gloss. Both are 100% protection from as much water as you could ever pour on it

Helsman spar varnish is what i like and use to cover paint or stain for anything aquariumwise.

3-6 coats sanding in between each one.....makes a nice finish...........glossy or not depending on whther you use the satin or the gloss. Both are 100% protection from as much water as you could ever pour on it

and you said you could get this at wal mart?

You can at the Walmart in Bend. Although i will add this.....they only had it in quarts........it was pretty expensive.....if you could find it in gallons somewhere you could save some money depending on how much you are going to use. Id call a few local paint places...you have many more options where you are at

A little tip........DONT use too much the first couple of coats(or any coat for that matter...especially the first couple though).........you will just bemaking more work for yourself as you will be sanding most of it off.

You can at the Walmart in Bend. Although i will add this.....they only had it in quarts........it was pretty expensive.....if you could find it in gallons somewhere you could save some money depending on how much you are going to use. Id call a few local paint places...you have many more options where you are at

A little tip........DONT use too much the first couple of coats(or any coat for that matter...especially the first couple though).........you will just bemaking more work for yourself as you will be sanding most of it off.

Well I am hoping for minimal coats...with out to much sanding...and as cheap as possible...

Brandon I would recommend just a good quality rattle can clear paint. I think "Rustolium" has a great product that seems to really seal everything in.

I made a number of large mild steel sculptures in college (mild is non stainless) and used this type of product. Even after removing all the millcoat off the metal and grinding the whole thing to a cool finish it still hasnt rusted after using this stuff. You can actually see some finger prints under the coat where it has rusted due to finger grease prior to painting, but other than that its sealed in.

Brandon I would recommend just a good quality rattle can clear paint. I think "Rustolium" has a great product that seems to really seal everything in.

I made a number of large mild steel sculptures in college (mild is non stainless) and used this type of product. Even after removing all the millcoat off the metal and grinding the whole thing to a cool finish it still hasnt rusted after using this stuff. You can actually see some finger prints under the coat where it has rusted due to finger grease prior to painting, but other than that its sealed in.

I was thinking that, but that is going to be alot of rattle cans, LOL.

they are like $3.50 each' date=',, I doubt its going to break the bank or even be close to the cost of some of the other products stated. Its your stand though :)[/quote']

Cost is not the big issue here...I have just tried to rattle can other things and it took alot for smaller things...but I may give it a go...

Just to make sure i didnt scare you away with the sanding thing............each sanding and coating in between drying on my 225 for instance took 20 minutes TOPS. Its not hard at all and you are left with a super smooth to the touch finish. However, I tend to agree with joel if paint is what you are doing. The spar varnish is more to coat over stains as it really doesnt affect the way it looks but protects it with a impenetrable layer. I woul dalso use it if i couldnt find a waterproof paint in the color you wanted and were really stuck on the color you found.

No use doing extra steps if you can cimply find the waterproof paint you want.

You know...I've never tried using this thing...I looked it up and saw that it was in stock. Ask Roy (rmhuntley) how it works. Or you can read up on it in the websites out there. I'm pretty sure it can go over paint, but don't ask me, I've never done any varnishes or clear coats before so I don't know.

Just be careful with mixing oil based products with waterbase.... Look at what you used before buying a clear finish or you many end up starting over again. If your stand is painted already, call the mfg. of it and ask what type of paint they used....if it's made for aquariums and painted by the mfg., it probably doesn't need a finish anyway.

Just be careful with mixing oil based products with waterbase.... Look at what you used before buying a clear finish or you many end up starting over again. If your stand is painted already' date=' call the mfg. of it and ask what type of paint they used....if it's made for aquariums and painted by the mfg., it probably doesn't need a finish anyway.[/quote']

Yeah, I sent them an e-mail...I did some research and Graham makes something that is suppose to go over it well, problem is there are no suppliers for it in Oregon or Washington...