Powder Blue!! Mine DIED!! F-ING ICH!!

ClayTheSavageFraser

Just moved into a 240 gallon system plumbed through my garage to a 100 gallon refugium/sump. The Powder had it when I got it, and went through waves of health, the normal cycle of ich. My catalina goby in my display refugium has in now and I think my coral beauty has it too. I am in the process of trying to catch them and quarantine them, but it's been a challenge.

Do you have any cleaner shrimp? If this happens to be something other than ich then cleaners may help.

BTW, I think I would wait a month or so to put another sensitive fish in the new tank. It could be that the recent tank swap is stressing the fish that are in there now.

Wait a while, until your new system has settled and your other fish are all healthy!

The theory is that ich can be eradicated by qt all your fish (and treating), and letting the main tank be empty of fish for 6 weeks at least.

But it's really easy to bring the ich back in with just about anything you add to your tank (fish, crabs, snails, corals, rock, sand, water etc.).

The whole ich cycle needs to be complete before you put the fish back in. If you can't catch them then try this stuff.

p_14158_FS24570D.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_14158_FS24570D.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm%3Fpcatid%3D4270&usg=__gMnloiQWXddN891ZHKQfxtQB0w4=&h=315&w=315&sz=30&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=8GoRC-KOEPMSHM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarine%2Bmax%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I used it long ago and it worked great. I didn't take any fish out and all my corals showed no signs of stress at all since it's reef safe. I used it on my 75G and just put half the bottle in right off the bat. Then every third day or so did a very heavy squirt of it. I used a total of 3 bottles over about 2 months and haven't seen it again. You would probably want to get the big one though and put about 1/3 of it in right off the bat. then a good squirt daily on a tank that size. I know their are people that think this stuff doesn't work but every person I have told to use it has had good results with it as well. The key I think is keeping on it throughout the life cycle of the ich in the tank. That means you'll have to make sure you overlap to kill all of it that's in different stages in your tank.

(sad)sorry to hear(sad) I have lost several blues in the last two years all to ich except two (husband incident) last one got ich after about 3 weeks now I have uv sterilizer, cleaner wrasse, shrimp and use ich attack as expensive as they are I am deliberating between trying another powder blue VS powder brown or clown tang.

Currently I have 2 hippos,1 orange shoulder, 2 dejardano (sp) sailfiins, 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel, 1 biclor angel, 1 purple queen anthias ,2 orange skunks, 2 maroons ,1 spotted mandarin ,1 pink/blue spotted goby, 1 blue fin damsel living in refugium ,1 red serpent star, 1 blue linkia, 2 sand sifting cucumbers,1 pnik cucumber, several bulbs ,various crabs, snails , mushrooms, zoas and corals

Dang! All those tangs in the same tank? How big's the tank?

(sad)sorry to hear(sad) I have lost several blues in the last two years all to ich except two (husband incident) last one got ich after about 3 weeks now I have uv sterilizer, cleaner wrasse, shrimp and use ich attack as expensive as they are I am deliberating between trying another powder blue VS powder brown or clown tang.

Currently I have 2 hippos,1 orange shoulder, 2 dejardano (sp) sailfiins, 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel, 1 biclor angel, 1 purple queen anthias ,2 orange skunks, 2 maroons ,1 spotted mandarin ,1 pink/blue spotted goby, 1 blue fin damsel living in refugium ,1 red serpent star, 1 blue linkia, 2 sand sifting cucumbers,1 pnik cucumber, several bulbs ,various crabs, snails , mushrooms, zoas and corals

Wow thats a lot of tangs, how big is the tank??

Just moved into a 240 gallon system plumbed through my garage to a 100 gallon refugium/sump. The Powder had it when I got it' date=' and went through waves of health, the normal cycle of ich. My catalina goby in my display refugium has in now and I think my coral beauty has it too. I am in the process of trying to catch them and quarantine them, but it's been a challenge.[/quote']

Let things settle out for a month or 2 before adding any more.

As far as the Catalina goby goes, they are more suited for cold water systems. It won't last long in a warmer reef tank.

Yeah I watched him in the tank at the store for about 3 months before I got him (the catalina goby) And I put him in the display refugium in my garage. The temp in there seems to be a consistent 74-79 degrees. He seems to be doing alright except the ich he now has. He's still eating and hopefully he kicks it!

Clay

Google is your friend.

Taken from Liveaquaria.com The Catalina Goby is native to the cold waters off the Eastern Pacific coast of the United States. This temperate species thrives in water temperatures between 60° F and 70° F. The Catalina Goby may be tolerant of warmer, tropical temperatures in most reef aquariums but only for a short time. If exposed to tropical temperatures for too long, the Catalina Goby can experience decreased resistance to disease and a shorter lifespan.

Mine swings 1-2 deg and I don't consider that consistent.

Consistent would be more along the lines of Miles' temp swing.

Clay,

You should consider setting a separate system for them and keep them around 60deg in your garage. Heck, 9 months out of the year you wouldn't even need a chiller. lol!

Google is your friend.

Taken from Liveaquaria.com The Catalina Goby is native to the cold waters off the Eastern Pacific coast of the United States. This temperate species thrives in water temperatures between 60° F and 70° F. The Catalina Goby may be tolerant of warmer, tropical temperatures in most reef aquariums but only for a short time. If exposed to tropical temperatures for too long, the Catalina Goby can experience decreased resistance to disease and a shorter lifespan.

DOH!DOH!DOH!

Dang! All those tangs in the same tank? How big's the tank?

100 gallon 6ft long most are small medium and growing used to have two more large yellows and 1 large reg sailfin but lost them when I had to take tank down when new carpeting was installed that was when I added the two dejardanno(sp) tangs one has a lot more yellow than the other so easy to tell apart my yellow is the largest right now about 4" plus lots of rock and swim room through crevices etc. when I bought my orange shoulder he was about 1" now he's about 3 1/2? both hippos are growing nicely as well one maroon has quadrupled in size