Huge worm in my tank

Jay

Last night I saw a huge worm in my tank (threaten)that was at least 12 - 14 inches and as big around as my pinky finger. It was stretched all the way from the sand to the top of my reef eating stuff from the top where my zoonathids used to be. My zooz have been declineing for some time slowly.....now mabey I know why. I will try to catch this sucker but it wont be east as I know he had what looked like bristles on its side and I dont want to get stung. I have seen these sticker looking things pokeing out of my blue tang near its spike on its tail and I think this is from it attacking the worm possibly. I havent seen the stickers in about a month but was wondering what it was from.

At the same time I think my Coral Beauty id dyeing of old age these last couple days. He is just bobbing around and I saw him pinned against a coral by the current yesterday...not a good sign. One good thing is I think itsold age as he is probably 7 almost 8 years old now (sad). First fish was a domino damsel second fish was this coral beauty.

Jay (sad) (plotting)

attachment.php?attachmentid=6337&stc=1&d=1256912922

post-199-141867779344_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you have a bristle worm.. We have one that size in our little 14 gallon Biocube. Unfortunately they are hard to catch when they're that large since they don't fit in the traps you can buy. We've tried to make our own trap but found out they are actually pretty strong and he was able to pull his way out of it. I've also sat by my tank with a red light waiting for him to come out and be extended at night with some long kitchen tongs, but he's just too fast and I coudlnt' get him. Eventually we gave up

The good news is they are considered to be harmless in your tank and some might argue beneficial since they eat dead/dying things only (or so I've read). This can help especially if you have a dead invert you don't know about, this guy will take care of him and you don't get an ammonia splike..

They're nasty as hell though and I hate them anyway! lol

I'm new to the hobby so I was wondering how do these worms get into our systems and what is the best way to prevent it? QT tanks?

Don't freak out when you see a worm. The garden variety of Bristle Worms are good for the tank. Even the Eunicid worms are supposedly good but there are a number of people who will disagree. Especially the one Steve Weast took out of his system. (http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm) I have several bristle worms in my system and occasionally even see one at night if I flash a light in the tank. They are all less than about 6" I think though. (If they are larger then most suggest to remove them) If you do see one don't try to grab it. I tried to be a smart *** a few months ago when I was transfering stuff from a Nano tank and grabbed a few and moved them from one tank to the other. The first couple were fine but on the third one it brushed the side of my hand and shot bristles into it.

Tip: To remove the bristles if this ever happens use duct tape. It works quite well.

Don't freak out when you see a worm. The garden variety of Bristle Worms are good for the tank. Even the Eunicid worms are supposedly good but there are a number of people who will disagree. Especially the one Steve Weast took out of his system. (http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm) I have several bristle worms in my system and occasionally even see one at night if I flash a light in the tank. They are all less than about 6" I think though. (If they are larger then most suggest to remove them) If you do see one don't try to grab it. I tried to be a smart *** a few months ago when I was transfering stuff from a Nano tank and grabbed a few and moved them from one tank to the other. The first couple were fine but on the third one it brushed the side of my hand and shot bristles into it.

Tip: To remove the bristles if this ever happens use duct tape. It works quite well.

Are those bristles sharp enough to go through a rubber glove like you use for washing dishes?

Ive had thousandsof bristle worms ove the years. My 120 gallon had them for a while when I moved into this house but they died off when the nutreints in my tank went down. Started doseing Vodka and water quality improved they went away. This is no run of the mill bristle worm. I have seen bristles sticking out of my tangs tail many mornings so I know he is battleing with it at night. I will see if I can catch him somehow. He is as big as my pinky even when stretched to 12 inches. Just nasty lookin...uugghh YUK..

Jay

Are those bristles sharp enough to go through a rubber glove like you use for washing dishes?

I dont think they would. Im gonna try surgeons gloves when I see him. Problemis he books when there is slightest vibration.

Jay

I will get out my camera with flash and try to get a shot.