Mircrobubble Machine

Ronjunior

The only way that I was able to stop my micro bubble problem was to stop the source of the micro bubbles. In my tank it was created from the overflow sucking in water through the Durso plumbing, so I removed it and when with a Herbie overflow setup that resticts the amount of water so that it backs up over the overflow pipe. This stops the pipe from sucking in air and no more micro bubbles.

My skimmers make 85,543,462 more bubbles than any overflow could. I usually take care of them through creative water routing both in and after the skimmer section. This can vary depending on if you are running an in sump or an out of sump skimmer........

For instance....for an in sump skimmer........no matter how many bubbles you skimmer produces, if you set the entire skimmer section with a over baffle right next to it(makes the majority of the bubbles immediately rise), which also can be used to help control the water level in your skimmer section, then follow it with three more baffles.......Under/over/under with a minimum of a 2" gap clearance in between all of the baffles and a 2" gap underneath the "under" baffles, it will generally take care of any bubble issues unless you are just simply moving to much water too quickly through your sump. Filter socks and foam pads are unecessary detritus traps that require maintenance and really shouldnt be needed if you set it up right.

I did not have a microbubble problem until I added a storage tub to catch excess backflow during a power outage. I proped up the sump about 6 inches for extra holding capacity in the rubbermaid. I don't have a skimmer, don't have the $ and missing the bottom tube and catch basin for my visijet.

The overflow is standard using 2 suction tubes draining down a 1 inch overflow pipe into the sump/wet dry. The water overflows now from the front of the sump and down into the rubbermaid tub. (I'll figure out a better sump when I get back to having a real job). My inline pump is around 800 gallons/hr and pulls from the 3/4" pipe from the bottom backside of the rubbermaid, through a canister filter and back into the tank.

I did increase the water volume and put in the tub because I was having to limit the output of the inline pump before because of lack of holding capacity. The sump by itself only holds a few gallons of water...not good when the power goes out)

bubbles.jpg

sump.jpg

normal to stop micro bubbles from having the chance to get into the display i run about 3-5 times the amount of my display through the sump the more the more bubbles you will create so if you have more then that going through i would say then put a ball value on that return or put that pump into the display and get a smaller pump

Your return speed ideally should match the same GPH that your skimmer can process. That goal is as little unskimmed water as possible makes it back to the tank

Bubbles ideally should be taken care of based on what you are left with after matching flow. 4 properly placed baffles in any sump can both control the level of water in the skimmer section and eliminate any bubbles you are left with

if i'm reading right, overflow to sump, then overflows to tup, to pump, pushed through canister filter, to tank, Is that correct?

OK re read, pullinng through canister, I think you are sucking in air from a fitting, also if you have any restriction BEFORE the pump inlet, of any kind, it can cause cavitation

since you have the bio balls, you could put a coarse block sponge just before the pump, that will catch the bubbles, just make sure to rinse them every couple weeks. I use the big blocks (3''x3''x8'') 3 of them stacked from the floor to the surface of the sump, so that all water leaving my skimmer goes through them, and they catch almost every bubble