How to buff out scratches and haze.

dj_giantti

If the scratches are to deep it would be better to leave them, the buffing could cause an old window effect! You should ask Acrylics ( James) Im sure he has or knows whare to get the acrylic buffing kit! Maybe theres someone on here that has one and dosnt need it anymore?

You can use a low speed buffer at like 1000 rpm with a soft pad made for clear coats on cars and use the novus #3 and then #2. "scratches" wont buff out, they need to be sanded out first and then buffed out. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, you are in for a long road of sanding, lol.

I sanded and buffed a 3/4" thick 220 gallon envision tank that had a TON of scratches. Started at 400, and went all the way thru 8000 before switching to the novus products on a buffer. You can get sheets of 3M wet dry sandpaper from TAP that go to about 2000, you can cut these and use them in an orbital sander, but then you will need to use the micromesh smaller sheets from 2000 up. James from envision told me there are some places that sell the micromesh in full sheets, and if I ever had to do it again, I would shell out for a full sheet of each of the strengths and cut them to fit my orbital sander, sanding by hand can be a PIA! The Rockler woodworking store in Beaverton sells the smaller sheets of micromesh if you don't want to order a kit online.

I easily spent 50-100 hours restoring my tank to brand new and I would probably never do it again, lol...but I was a student during the time and didn't have the funds for a brand new tank.

Let me know if you need any tips... I sure did gain alot of them during the process...

Mike

I did mine with wet sandpaper (by hand). 1000-1500-2000-4000.

With a power tool you will add too much heat.

After that go with Novus 3 and then 2. You can do by hand or with a buffer tool.

Worked great. Looking at the dimensions of your tank you will be ready for new years lol

The real problem is you need to be super careful not to melt or begin to melt the acrylic. Heat builds up quick when buffing and sanding.

I did a test on a scrap piece of acrylic before, with a sander and the result wasn't good.

If you are not careful it starts to melt, makes some small bubbles and change the color to a light yellow. Just test and see if you can go with power tools. Anyway, always keep the grit wet.

You can find some indication in the thread of this beautiful tank build: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154877&st=80