Is this possible?

CA2OR

So I have been trying to think about how to increase my light in my tank without spending a bunch of cash. I know the easiest and best thing to do is just buy a 48 inch fixture with the dual 250's and actinic's...but I can't afford it. I did post up a trade but we shall see what happens there.

So here is my question....is it possible to take the single 250w HQI DE MH and the PC actinic's from my 24 inch fixture along with the 4x56w 48 inch T5's that I have in another fixture and build them into one lighting systems with 1 MH, 2 pc's, and 4 T5's? Is there a reason it wouldn't work or shouldn't be done? I would be breaking down complete lighting systems to merge them but would it work is the question. Also, are there any projected issues I would encounter that you can see?

I see no reason it can't be done but I would hesitate to tear apart a good fixture to do it. (Personally I wouldn't tear it apart if it was mine) Chances are the fixture can be sold for more than the parts would cost if you watch for deals on them and then you can do it the way you want anyway rather than this way. It may take longer to do it that way but I think you would be happier in the long run. Maybe start by building the canopy and use the fixture temporarily until you can get a dual 250w MH setup for a good deal (Those would get you by until you could add more). Then sell the fixture and add the other lights you want after that. To get an approximate difference in power cost simply add the wattage up. 2 x 250w will be 500w. The suggested setup will be 250w + 2x96w + 4x54w which = 658w. You could use a couple of 96w PCs or 110w VHO's for supplemental lighting and still come close to the same power usage. (about 50w more but the running time could be cut back a little too and may actually come out less in the end)

That sounds like a deal Isaac. But I have a question. What is the difference between the magnetic and electronic ballasts? And what else would I need as far as components and actinics?

Ok I lied....got more questions....can you build a canopy for me? If not and I get one built can you light it? What can I do with the other equipment I have, as far as a possible trade towards cost and such, uh....and I think that is all of them for right now