Can I see your Triggers?

CA2OR

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought the one Curtis (Downhillbiker) had was really pretty - white with an orange tail. I think it was a Sargassum (I'm not up on triggers' date=' so I could be very wrong on the name)? I'll go back and see if I can find the pick.[/quote']

It indeed was a Sargassum. IME though they do not look the same in person. Nice but nevertheless more gray than white. (His picture prompted me to look into getting one so I checked out a few in person)

RIP my poor trigger...this was truly my favorite fish. It is true that this one was more white and had brighter lines on the cheeks than most sargassums. I cant believe it died. Really made me upset...even posted about it on my myspace and facebook status. I assure you that this pic was not doctored though. I usually do a cleanup of my pics that is a function on my camera, its called auto fix. Doesn't change anything though...If I find this fish again I will probably get one even if it isn't as good as my last. If anything the MH lighting made the blue stripes on the cheeks and the blue eye rings even brighter and it had a nice white/gray color.

newfish001.jpg

Wow!

I didn't know Triggers were reef safe?

Some are. Sargassum, Pink Tail, Blue Throat, Cross Hatch, and Niger have all been kept in reef tanks. I've been told that it depends on the shape of the mouth, upturned mouth is supposed to be safe.The above list seems to confirm this. Do keep in mind that they are very aggressive feeders though and will eat fish and inverts if they are dropped into the tank without forethought. I normally will feed the trigger on one end and then gently place fish, shrimp, etc. in the tank on the other. Or do so at night when the trigger is holed up and hiding. While mine doesn't ever bite hard enough to hurt it does test my fingers to see if they are food. If it ever did decide they were food I am sure it could take a chunk out of them. (It takes huge chunks out silversides, krill, etc. when eating) As some above have mentioned they have huge personalities and will learn where the food comes from. Mine heads for the top front of the tank whenever I get close. Other than my Lionfish (which also does the same but has a dance of sorts he does as well) the trigger is right up there being one of my favorites.

• 4 weeks later...
RIP my poor trigger...this was truly my favorite fish. It is true that this one was more white and had brighter lines on the cheeks than most sargassums. I cant believe it died. Really made me upset...even posted about it on my myspace and facebook status. I assure you that this pic was not doctored though. I usually do a cleanup of my pics that is a function on my camera, its called auto fix. Doesn't change anything though...If I find this fish again I will probably get one even if it isn't as good as my last. If anything the MH lighting made the blue stripes on the cheeks and the blue eye rings even brighter and it had a nice white/gray color.

newfish001.jpg

That is a really beautiful sargassum! Best looking trigger i've ever seen...I'm sorry for your loss. May I ask how he died? Also, where did you get him from?