snorkelwasp

badguitarist

I don't want this to be a negative post or go in a negative direction, I just would like to point out a few things.

I have known snorkelwasp for many years, meeting about five years ago while working at a pet store. He can be a very opinionated and bull-headed guy but he does have a ton of good knowledge about reef systems, especially when it comes to setup and design. Kicking him off would be a loss of much good information.

"My tank is my resume" anyone who has seen his tank would certainly agree with this statement as it is a well thought out and designed mature tank. It is not some tank that has been up and running for six months with all the latest fad corals placed willie-nillie without regard for each individual corals care, anyone whos been in the hobby a long time knows what im talking about.

although he is bull-headed he is a great person in the hobby to know. Last week my tank cracked in the middle of the night and he got out of bed to wait for me at 2 in the morning to drive over and get heaters from him. The next day he came over and helped me set my tank back up, he even gave me a bag of salt just to be nice. If it werent for him that night I would have lost most of my fish and corals (many of them are reaching the ten year old mark.)

Snorkelwasp and I share many of the same frustrations with this site, while my personality allows me to simply ignore most of the rediculous things on this site his does not. I simply don't post that often becuase I am tired of being told I'm wrong or my idea won't work by some who think they know everthing because they have a year and a half old tank with a few browned out acroporas and a colony of designer zoanthids. which, of course, means they must know more about reef keeping than my ten years worth of knowledge has accumulated.

Beleive me, he has a lot of good info that can be shared and it would do a lot of people good to step back and realize that they don't know it all, I sure dont and Ive been doing it since i was 14 (im 24 now).

Thanks,

Kyle

Guest Snorkelwasp

Thanks man. I've dedicated my life to animals. I would do anything for my friends and their tanks. I'm preparing a free frag giveaway at my house so people can come see my zoo. Seems that's what it takes to get people out to corvallis. There are some very opinionated people here. They say things I doubt they would if everyone knew what their tank looks like and had a picture of themselves so everyone can see them. I wouldn't change my talk a bit and anyone that knows me would agree. Moderator made me change my signiture. Apparently it not appropriate. But they allow beer. Fart. And middle eastern jokes in out of bounds forum. Hmmm? They say its their expression. Ill have more about this later...but thanks kyle. There are some people that get it.

Guest Moderator3

No one has tried to remove Snorklewasp from the site, we just asked him to change his signature as it was offensive to members.

The rest of the situation has been created by him, and now by you.

Changing the offensive signature is a simple request. If this drama continues there will be further actions if needed, but only if the situation calls for it.

The rules of this site are for everyone to follow, snorkle is not special.

Guest Snorkelwasp

Then enforce it to everyone or its going back on. The word not ok. But fart jokes, drinking, and racial jokes are ok?they are offensive to me. Get them off or it shouldn't matter if mine offends you. And you did threaten to ban me. Ill post all the pm's tomorrow.

I do not like that I am being targeted (moderator 3) for sticking up for a friend that is very dedicated to the captive growth and rearing (thats right how many of you have had corals spawn and grow out successfully in your tanks, snorkekelwasp has) of coral reef invertabrates. what is this talk of middle eastern "dissing" I would like it to be brought to light as I have had friends serve over seas in Iraq and have also had very good friends of middle eastern discent, it really bothers me that this behavior is accepted by this site. I have seen it from both sides of the spectrum. as far as knowledge goes snorkelwasp has much more than many of us, I can recall a plethora of conversations that lasted 3-4 hours on reef related topics, many of these have made me the reefer I am today and without these talks my tank wouldn't be what it is now.

He really knows his stuff, I would like anyone who can honestly say they have grown a coius microlepis, or even knows what that is(without google/fishbasing it), to over a foot long to speak up and then we can talk about kowledge of the aquarium world, believe me snorkelwasp is a wealth of information you dont want to loose.

Snorkel,

I really don't think you are doing yourself any favors in continuing to pursue this issue. You had profanity in your signature - it's a simple rule. A Mod asked you to change it.

The person that has made this into an issue is you. You seem to be looking for a fight.

You mentioned other signatures. Ignoring for a minute the obvious two wrongs don't make right, argument... While I agree the signature you're referencing is a bit juvenile, I find it really odd that someone as well educated as you can't understand the difference between juvenile and flat out profanity.

A Mod asked you to change your signature. You changed your signature. Now step down off the cross and let's all move on.

P.S. No, I didn't ding you any rep points, that's not my game. You asked for flat out, to your face comments, so that what I gave you.

P.P.S. Badguitarist, in the future, in a post attempting to engender reconciliation, I would avoid calling people "num-nuts".

• Like 1

I call people num-nuts because thats what they are, when you post things like : "I dont do water changes and my tank looks great except for the cyano bloom that just started happening, why did this happen?" of course I think your a num-nuts.

P.S. JasonH

When you say "step down off the cross" that is offensive to me, which I believe is why this thread all started.

I respect you sticking up for your friend. I believe that you can defend one without insulting the other, and that it would be a more persuasive approach.

I truly meant no offense to you or Snorkel. I hope he sticks around. He asked for people not to hide in corners, but to say what they wanted to say. That's what I did.

I think Snorkel is wrong on this issue. I think it would be best at this point to drop it and move forward.

Guest Snorkelwasp

Why am I wrong? I took and left my sig off. Then I see worse ones and racial jokes. Cannot and willnot stand for that. Will fight til the end. Priorities? Sphincter is scientics term. Just a different context. What context is racism funny? Huh? Quit avoiding the real reason for this nonsense: you don't treat all members equally. Ill fight all day for my rights. Would it be ok if I was a paying member. American way=buy your freedom right? Seems to be a big point mods made in pm's. They want money. But they sure aren't quick to jump on racial jokes. Odd

1. If someone finds something offensive, it is the job of the moderating body to address it. If you find something offensive, report it and hopefully it can be fixed for you.

1. This isn't a public forum, this isn't a place that guaranteed free speech. There is no anonymous posting here (aside from point 3) so you are responsible for your actions, and just as easily as you sign up, you can be removed. That is the nature of the sandbox theory. If you are unhappy now, after stirring the pot you will find yourself less so, now may be a time to consider a departure before you further soil your reputation, and drag your friends in to it with you.

3. In my day, moderators moderated with their real names, not pseudonyms. I think removing your personal reputation when doling out justice makes it easier to gloss over the larger picture. There is merit to what is being said about people doing things anonymously because they wouldn't dare do so if people knew who they were.

• Like 1

I enjoy this hobby so much, but immature posts and people like this that make me hate coming to the forums. The info and help we get from you can't be as good as what harm you are causing by carrying this on. I think anyone causing problems like this should be banned...or a better solution, just let it go. We are supposed to be friends and a family, so treat everyone like they are just that.

• Like 1

3. In my day, moderators moderated with their real names, not pseudonyms. I think removing your personal reputation when doling out justice makes it easier to gloss over the larger picture. There is merit to what is being said about people doing things anonymously because they wouldn't dare do so if people knew who they were.

I dont think thats true at all. The moderator "anonymous" posts are never controversial or heated, they are just stating the rules. They probably use "moderator" just because they dont want someone hating them just because they told someone to stop doing something wrong.

If moderators are being fair, and making sure that everyone is being treated fairly, there should be no fear of "hatred". I never said that the posts were controversial or heated, I insinuated that people were hiding behind anonymity because it is easy.

If someone is told to stop doing something, and they continue to be a problem, removal of the individual from the community is more than within bounds, but the infractors, and the community at large in my opinion has the right to know who is doing so.

Guest Snorkelwasp

Still they are supporting racism. Ill post everything in an hour or so. You will see their professionalism. Far from over. This site is tiny. Hardly will effect my professional rep. I simply dominate.

If this were a nationwide forum, and not just locals, then the moderators would not be annonymous. As I recall, when we first set up the site that the moderators were given this to ensure that they could moderate the site equally and sometimes they may have to moderate friends and neighbors, so that could spark trouble for them.

As a board member, I have put it to the other board members for a vote that only paid members of the club get to use a signature. We are constantly trying to add perks to the people who are paid members, maybe this will help the problem.

• Like 1

Your definition of "first" is different than mine. When I set up the board with James there were 3 admins and 2 moderators, and they were all forced to use their screen names. If people are uncomfortable moderating their peers, they are not suited to be moderators.

There is no way to make this a local board, by virtue of the internet it is nationwide and international, and the actions of the members, moderators, and board members reflect on all of the hobbyists and stores in this region.

Still they are supporting racism. Ill post everything in an hour or so. You will see their professionalism. Far from over. This site is tiny. Hardly will effect my professional rep. I simply dominate.

If you equate your actions on this site or any other forum no matter the size to your profassional rep you are doing life wrong! You love animals, you have a good education, you help others etc. All good qualities but at the end of the day.....this is still just a saltwater forum. If you don't like the way it works. Become a member, run for one of the board positions, and make the changes you want to see. Surely you being the "civil rights freedom fighter" you are should know how it works!

• Like 1