Advice needed!

tanktop74

Ok... so I think I am crazy... but I just bought a 120 gal tank!!!

I will be picking it up next Saturday if it all goes as planned. Before then I need to buy a pump. He had a brand new "Dart" on it and would like to keep it.... Or I could pay him for it... but my thought is if I buy one I can put it on my credit card. Any ideas where I can get a nice pump that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg that pumps about 2800-3600 gal/hr.

Soooo.... what I really need is some ideas/advice on how to make this switch. My biggest problem is this new 120 gal tank is going to go in the same spot my 55 gal is. My second problem is how in the world do I get 100 gal of saltwater home and in the tank?

I plan on using most of my water from the 55 gal tank, along with the rock and sand in hopes there will be very little cycle.

Can you please give me advice??? I don't really have to get the tank all set up next weekend, but it would be nice.

Ok... I think that is all the questions I have for now... And I yes I will start a build thread as soon as I can.

Thank you, you guys are great!

Does this have a closed loop? 2800 - 3600 GPH is pretty excessive if it's just pumping through the sump. (The drains would need to be massive to flow that much)

As far as the swap goes you can use totes to keep everything in temporarily while swapping the tanks. You can probably leave a few inches of water and the sand in the 55 when you move it out of the way and transfer it directly over. (If I recall right the 55 hasn't been set up for too long so the sand should be okay to reuse) For the water you can start with the 55 gallons and then use a couple of power heads to keep the water moving until you get it full enough to use the sump pump. I.E. Nothing says the tank will need to be full immediately. When I did my last swap it took me a day to get it full which was primarily due to the time it took to filter and mix 30 gallons or so of water. (I only had about 30 on hand and needed 60 gallons)

Do you want me to hold onto the mushroom rock until after the swap?

BTW, you might take the opportunity to remove any troublemakers at the same time if you have them. For instance I put all of the chromis and damsels in the sump after my last swap so I wouldn't have to chase them around the tank later. Not huge troublemakers (except one damsel that was eating the SPS polyps) but a real pain to try to catch again later.

I can get you a great price on one of these pumps. Unfortunately the answer for moving the water is just as hard as it sounds. Lots of buckets and maybe some cheap' date=' new garbage cans. If you need some buckets let me know, I may have a few laying around.[/quote']

What price are we talking... and is located in Castle Rock?? What would shipping be if I can't get up there?

Thanks!

Beth

Does this have a closed loop? 2800 - 3600 GPH is pretty excessive if it's just pumping through the sump. (The drains would need to be massive to flow that much)

As far as the swap goes you can use totes to keep everything in temporarily while swapping the tanks. You can probably leave a few inches of water and the sand in the 55 when you move it out of the way and transfer it directly over. (If I recall right the 55 hasn't been set up for too long so the sand should be okay to reuse) For the water you can start with the 55 gallons and then use a couple of power heads to keep the water moving until you get it full enough to use the sump pump. I.E. Nothing says the tank will need to be full immediately. When I did my last swap it took me a day to get it full which was primarily due to the time it took to filter and mix 30 gallons or so of water. (I only had about 30 on hand and needed 60 gallons)

Do you want me to hold onto the mushroom rock until after the swap?

BTW, you might take the opportunity to remove any troublemakers at the same time if you have them. For instance I put all of the chromis and damsels in the sump after my last swap so I wouldn't have to chase them around the tank later. Not huge troublemakers (except one damsel that was eating the SPS polyps) but a real pain to try to catch again later.

Rick I thought that was excessive too... but you should see the way oversized skimmer he has on there too. He said went that big for higher turn over rate to get more water through his skimmer. No it is not closed loop. The overflow on this tank is huge!

Yes please... If you could hold that rock it would be great!

And yes... my plan was to catch that darn Lawn Mower Blenny that is picking on my dragon Goby.... Hes gunna go! Any one interested???

THanks for the advice... I will be going out and getting a few rubbermaid tubs for this.... And a few trips to the LFS for salt water!

Thanks again!

Beth

You definitely don't need a dart pump just for a return on a 120. Does the return pump feed the skimmer as well? Anyways, maybe you could get some pics to post and then we can tell you exactly what you need. You may want to spend your money on in-tank circulation pumps/powerheads as opposed to a giant return pump.

Dennis

You definitely don't need a dart pump just for a return on a 120. Does the return pump feed the skimmer as well? Anyways, maybe you could get some pics to post and then we can tell you exactly what you need. You may want to spend your money on in-tank circulation pumps/powerheads as opposed to a giant return pump.

Dennis

Ok... So I do have a few pictures, becuase he did post it here for sale....

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14964

As you can see the sump is huge as is the plumbing. I think he did say it supplied his skimmer, but it is in the sump so I dont think that could be!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Beth

Ok... So I do have a few pictures, becuase he did post it here for sale....

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14964

As you can see the sump is huge as is the plumbing. I think he did say it supplied his skimmer, but it is in the sump so I dont think that could be!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Beth

How big are the drain pipes and how big is the overflow? ( Linear length of all sides that will drain water)

The pipes look like they are about 1 1/2" with about 30" of linear length on the overflow. Using the calculator at http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php 3600 GPH will require 2 1/2" drains and 54" of linear overflow length (Even if the overflow went the length of the back wall it would only be 48"). 1300 GPH on the other hand will flow through a 1 1/2" drain and 20" of overflow length. Keep in mind these are maximum flow rates. Get some algae on the drain screen and it will not flow that much. To give a margin of safety I wouldn't run anything bigger than 1100 GPH or so unless the drain is larger than it looks.

Thanks for all the advice guys...

After much discussion and talking with LFS guy about what I was getting for the price I decided to back out of the deal.

Keep me in mind if you are selling a 120 or 180 gal tank set up in the future! I really do want bigger!!

RICK...

I have time this evening to come get the mushroom rock if you are available. give me a call... five-zero-three, three one eight, seven nine three eight. And I will come out and get it... also would love to check out your tank if you are up to it!

thanks again everyone... Oh and If I can get the blenny out I am still selling him!

Beth

Thanks for all the advice guys...

After much discussion and talking with LFS guy about what I was getting for the price I decided to back out of the deal.

Keep me in mind if you are selling a 120 or 180 gal tank set up in the future! I really do want bigger!!

RICK...

I have time this evening to come get the mushroom rock if you are available. give me a call... five-zero-three, three one eight, seven nine three eight. And I will come out and get it... also would love to check out your tank if you are up to it!

thanks again everyone... Oh and If I can get the blenny out I am still selling him!

Beth

Sorry, didn't get back to you right away. (Had my laptop torn apart to clean it) I'll be up for a couple of hours if you still want to come up. Someone else (nwcoralfarm) is coming by as well to drop off a coral and pick up some sand so it's not a big deal to me either way.