Halimeda Crash?

shaywood

Everything looked great in my tank last night. Woke up this morning and the entire tank is white foggy. I found a large clump of Halimeda that has turned white. Call corals still have great color and the fish are fine. Other Halimeda is green. Any ideas? Is it possible that a clump can just die? I tested all parameters (see below) which look ok. Or, is it possible that my corals spawned?

Check your Ca And KH. Release of gametes is usually not an issue with non-Caulerpa macroalgaes.

Halimeda needs a fair amount of Calcium to thrive. Jay has given some excellent advice. It is difficult to say what may be the exact cause of the crash.

My Halimeda went nuts when I fired upmy Cal reactor. I had overshot the alk to 16 dkh. Ever since then I have this crud growing out of control when I run the reactor. I even shut down the reactor recently because I was tired of pulling the Halimeda. I have been reading on wetweb to see if I can find out which element other then cal/alk causes it to thrive. I am suspecting that low mag may help it along as mine is always low it seems.

Jay

As far as the white Halimeda goes mine turns white every night when the lights are off.I read where the stuff that makes it green durring the photo period withdraws into the tissue when its dark. Read that somewhere. But if you have a big white clump I would not think that has anything to do with cloudy water. I would suspect something else like a anemone spawn to cause this cloudy water while the dead Halimeda is coincidence. Just my opinion though.

I agree with Jay here.

My Halimeda went nuts when I fired upmy Cal reactor. I had overshot the alk to 16 dkh. Ever since then I have this crud growing out of control when I run the reactor. I even shut down the reactor recently because I was tired of pulling the Halimeda. I have been reading on wetweb to see if I can find out which element other then cal/alk causes it to thrive. I am suspecting that low mag may help it along as mine is always low it seems.

Jay

As far as the white Halimeda goes mine turns white every night when the lights are off.I read where the stuff that makes it green durring the photo period withdraws into the tissue when its dark. Read that somewhere. But if you have a big white clump I would not think that has anything to do with cloudy water. I would suspect something else like a anemone spawn to cause this cloudy water while the dead Halimeda is coincidence. Just my opinion though.

....I even shut down the reactor recently because I was tired of pulling the Halimeda.....

Let me know when your ready to pull some more. My calcium went high (600) after the tank swap which in turn pushed the alk low which pretty much cleaned out what I had left. They are pretty much balanced back out now.