Cleaner Shrimp ?

sharoleb

My Dendro has been closed for 5 days now, my params are great. Has anyone ever heard about a cleaner shrimp irritating them enough to stay closed. He also digs in the anemone, and steals food from most all corals. He's fed plenty. Im ready to get rid of him right now if hes part of the problem. I have no QT or sump. 36 gallon reef with 3 small fish.

It is a possibility that the shrimp is preventing the dendro from opening. If that is the case the polyps typically still open at night. Also if they have been fed heavily they may not open for a while sometimes. They extend their polyps more when they are hungry.

How long have you had them? You also mentioned that your params checked out good. What is the Ca' date='Alk,mag,nitrate,phosphate, salinity, temp?[/quote']

I have had the dendro about a month and a half, the cleaner about 2 1/2 months. The dendro has always been out before this. However, what you said about feeding may be my problem. I did feed him a lot last week. (Yes, it's a he.) (nutty) I actually read your post last night, right before I was going down to put some mysis in front of the dendro since it was just starting to poke out, trying to entice him to come out more. I refrained, and this am the very smallest head was out. So maybe I just fed him until he was actually full?

My temp stays pretty much even at 77. Salinity is .026 Ca=480 Kh=9 Nitrate=0 I do not have all of the other specific numbers, but we have been checking the tests all week trying to figure out what's going on.

I was told yesterday that maybe it's the shrimp digging that is causing him harm. I was fully prepared to get it out of there ASAP, as the dendro is my very very favorite and would be so sad to see him die. (sad)

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided this cleaner shrimp is not reef safe. (scratch) It digs in EVERYTHING. THe dendro, duncan, anemone, candy cane, all of it. I plan on catching him, but still kinda like him and I want him to go to a good home. Anyone want to make a little trade? Interested in ricordea, candy cane, cool zoas or? I'm in Clackamas area. Please make an offer, I don't want to catch it until I find someone who wants it. Again - only reef safe if you don't target feed, maybe best for SPS?

Also - any tips on how to catch him? DOH!