18W T5 or 40w PC?

finch6013

What one will have more usable and better light for actinic supplement?

Because of length issues I need to keep in under 20'' and those are looking to be my only option, other than current makes a 20w 18'' T5 but being the same length as the competitors I think its really just a renamed 18w.

Pretty sure the PC will have more light. An 18" 18w T5 is just a regular aquarium light like you would see over most any 10 or 20 gallon freshwater tank. I would check the wavelength on the actinic as well. I like the way the flourescents pop out with the 420nm Actinic better than the 460nm. (460 is more blue while 420 is closer to uv)

Pretty sure the PC will have more light. An 18" 18w T5 is just a regular aquarium light like you would see over most any 10 or 20 gallon freshwater tank. I would check the wavelength on the actinic as well. I like the way the flourescents pop out with the 420nm Actinic better than the 460nm. (460 is more blue while 420 is closer to uv)

I think the more typical aquarium (like on a freshwater or FO setup) lights are actually T8, not T5. T5 are much more efficient in terms of light/watt than a T8. I don't know how the CF and T5 compare on a watt for watt basis.

I think the more typical aquarium (like on a freshwater or FO setup) lights are actually T8' date=' not T5. T5 are much more efficient in terms of light/watt than a T8. I don't know how the CF and T5 compare on a watt for watt basis.[/quote']

Yes, I just went and looked at the one I have and it is indeed a T8. T5 and T8 though are just light diameters. T8 is 8 x 1/8" which is 1" in diameter. T5 is 5 x 1/8" which is 5/8" in diameter. The only advantage in efficiency that I am aware of is that the smaller diameter will block less reflected light. I.E. If there is a reflector more of the light shining at the reflector will bounce back down into the tank. I could be wrong but I think the CF and T5 can be compared pretty much on a watt for watt basis as they are essentially the same type of bulb with the shape being the main difference. (A 40w normal flourescent ballast will work for a 40w CF bulb and vice versa)