Anyone else get Drs Foster & Smith mag?

impur

Have you checked there entire coal selection' date=' my guess is that they have them some where on the site.[/quote']

nope.. dr f&s rarely use photos from their stock for their mag. most of the photos are sent in from customers. If i remember correctly (im not home atm) there is even a photo submission page like the first or second page, where they say you can send in photos, and if they use it, you get store credit or something of that sort.

Also when they have the free shipping there is a tack on charge for heavy items. Just a FYI' date=' salt I think its $20 per bucket.[/quote']

I've never been charged an added weight fee from them? just regular shipping charges, for both salt and sand.

But I guess reefgeek answered that question

Ya I tried to make a large order in May and they tacked on about $100 in shipping for salt but free shipping for everything else, guess they have changed it... Thats cool. But I can still get salt cheaper locally than what they advertise, so no real point in it. But good to know for other items.

34 bucks is a deal for shipping now. Everywhere else is $50+

Yup...this is why Drs. Foster will start putting everyone out of business online when it comes to online ordering...You wait, they will own the market once they start to get thiers hands on some rare stuff and raise it in their facilties...it will be crazy...That is what happens when you have major weight in the means of money and backing...

As for the other question, They do offer free shipping with all orders on livestock exlcuding rock and send) over 225.00 bucks...

Guest Mbeef61
Do they ever have free shipping on live products fish/inverts etc.? The $34 fee seems a little bit steep!

hahahahaha i highly doubt it...the day they do that they will put lfs completely out of business...besides the rates for overnight are expensive no matter what...i dont think they have much of a choice on that...thats why live stuff is so cheap...compare it to buying wholesale...things are cheap but cost 55-75 bucks a box to receive it. you gotta cover costs somewhere...i actually dont want to see prices go too low because then this wont be an elite hobby and everyone will do it...i pride myself on having success with my tank that others just cant seem to do.

i think there is a question about what the cover pic is everytime they send out a catalog...it says whats on the cover on the back next to your address.

hahahahaha i highly doubt it...the day they do that they will put lfs completely out of business...besides the rates for overnight are expensive no matter what...i dont think they have much of a choice on that...thats why live stuff is so cheap...compare it to buying wholesale...things are cheap but cost 55-75 bucks a box to receive it. you gotta cover costs somewhere...i actually dont want to see prices go too low because then this wont be an elite hobby and everyone will do it...i pride myself on having success with my tank that others just cant seem to do.

i think there is a question about what the cover pic is everytime they send out a catalog...it says whats on the cover on the back next to your address.

I am not trying to debate here...but they do offer free shipping on orders over 225 bucks...This will never put a LFS out of business...Alot of this hobby is being able to see what you buy, most people that I have come across, enjoy the satisfaction of going into a LFS and just browsing to see what they can find and like...It is like anything...There are a ton of stores online that sell clothes, cheaper then the local stores...however, they are still in business...most people just like to go shop and see what might catch thier eye. Does free shipping hurt LFS...possibly a little, but if you can beat online vendors prices (or at least come close, which most LFS's do) then they will still be around.

I absolutly agree about keeping it elite. If you have $2.00 clowns every kid in town will have one in a goldfish bowl. Thats what happened with reptiles years back... $2.00 for a lizard who cares if it died, just replace it, but spend $45 and you bet they'll take better care of it.

On another note $34 is just about what fedex charges so if you see it lower or free it's priced into the fish

I absolutly agree about keeping it elite. If you have $2.00 clowns every kid in town will have one in a goldfish bowl. Thats what happened with reptiles years back... $2.00 for a lizard who cares if it died, just replace it, but spend $45 and you bet they'll take better care of it.

On another note $34 is just about what fedex charges so if you see it lower or free it's priced into the fish

not true about it being free...the price is the same nothing changes, but when you order a certain amount and free is given...that is because they have made enough profit off of your order to "give" something back...

As for keeping it elite...i guess to each his own...but I want to share this hobby with people, and if it becomes cheaper, then more people will be able to do it...plus things become cheaper for the rest of us...which means more money can be spent on a bigger tank(whistle)