3.25" hole in glass?

impur

Ok so this is the last decision i need to make before i can get this thing up and running. Do I cut out the current 45mm hole for a 3.25" hole. Yes thats a 3 1/4 inch hole in 1/4" glass. It might be 3/8" glass its kind of between.

This is a big freaking hole. Nyles is fired up to start cutting, so what do you guys think?

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

The glass is just shy of 3/8.. more like 5/16"

Miles is going to use a sched 80 bulkhead afterwards (built like a truck) LOL

Hey Miles I got an idea.... I can bark out a 3 1/2" hole in some extra 1/4 glass I got laying around right near the edge... I will try and get'er done tonight. I may have thrown it out, since I already cut tons of holes in it, but I will check.

here is a pic of some 1-3/4" holes right up next to the edge on 5/8" glass.

there is still tape around the edges on those pics, to help reduce chipping.

post-105-141867734711_thumb.jpg

Nice. Yah if you still have that piece do a cut and show me, might ease my fears! (laugh) I posted this on RC too and the couple of ppl that responded said it would be ok.

Yah the bulkhead is unreal. Huge!!! And for the price it should be made of gold!!!!

I think your only risk is the aftermath of stressing/twisting the bulkhead and not having enough glass there to compensate for the pressure and having a break on the lower side. The good part is the scedule 80 bulkhead will have some "built in" reinforcment. If that makes sense.

But you will have to be carefull pushing on that bulkhead regardless.

The hole I drilled in the middle of mine was a 2" as well.

Miles have you search to see what the maximum sized hole you should put in glass of that thickness is? You might want to e-mail a glass aquarium maker and ask them if this is possible. I like the idea of doubling the thickness with an extra piece of glass, but I just don't know how it would work. Also, you might want to use spa flex somewhere on this piece. If that pipe moves 1/4" the tank will probably not be able to take it. I would support the plumbing to reduce as much stress as possible.

Jay

your going to use a dart?.... dude you better be careful if so, you have to have more positive pressure (more pressure on the output than input) or you will cavitate the dart. I would recommend simply adding another 1" to the input to get more flow, either way let me know.. as with everyone Im more than happy to come by and lend a hand. Later

Nyles-

Good call, Whats your goal on turnover? 40x? are you going to go with a few maxi mods? I still have the shroud you gave me, I want to try one out, just not sure what it would do on a 72" long tank for extra turnover. I can say that the 3600 gph I have is just not enough, I would like to easily double it on the high side...

well... Im going to order one today (mj12)... LOL and test it out.. Im guessing you will point me in the right direction for the prop, and tube extension line.

A good quiet pump in that range.

We should get together this weekend and build a couple of the mods. I have the shaft and tubing. We will just need some props. Eugene toy and hobby carries them.

The MJ1200 moded with a dumas prop will give you around 2000gph. It will definately help out in your case. I plan to do something like a mj600 to add roughly 1000gph.