External pump for closed loop - help me decide

impur

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miles... I just caught up with the thread.... man a lot of posts....

OK I will come over and I will bring a screened pipe to hold you off, but I would also recommend the spa screen for permanent use.

So everyone else knows, what I do on my dart's 2" intake at the bulkhead I ran a "Street L" to a 2" pvc and a cap. Drilled the piss out of it and works fine. Animals walk on it and dont even know what it is. Also it works great to set rock on as part of my... tunnel system for the LR. I will set him up with that till he gets a spa filter screen.... Thanks Fly, good advice! As always.

Simple enough.

You can see 6 of them across the top back of this pic...they are fairly low profile..only stick out 1 3/4" i think........i need to paint them black as the schedule 80 they are made out of does stand out a little on a black background. I have the 2 section nozzles...you can point them in any direction you want short of a 90 ......they are kinda spendy for what they are but i do like them better than anything else

http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=41&osCsid=4dda374de9dda443b511b4e99dca6d81

p1010042.jpg

After this whole thread, I am really thinking about the om 8-way and the nozzles.... I just cant quite sell myself...

What I have now seems to work fine, but its a $400 closed loop quicky that doesn't put out near the output of the alternating jets. :(

Where can you locally find those flexible/chain/bendable/forming type output hoses that you see in the aquarium store displays. I've only seen them sold as a huge kit at Petsmart. I need something to hook onto a pvc pipe running above the water and bend downwards into the top of the water as to not get much back suction into my tiny wet/dry sump during power failures.

Where can you locally find those flexible/chain/bendable/forming type output hoses that you see in the aquarium store displays. I've only seen them sold as a huge kit at Petsmart. I need something to hook onto a pvc pipe running above the water and bend downwards into the top of the water as to not get much back suction into my tiny wet/dry sump during power failures.

Im not sure where top get the loc-line..im sure someone will chime in who does.

However, if you simply drill 2- 1/8" holes in your return line just barely under your water level....the amount of back siphon will be very minimal as it will break the siphon as soon as the water drops to that point.........