External pump for closed loop - help me decide

impur

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are drilling another hole, couldn't you make it a 1 1/2"?

Or are you limited to the drill bit for 1" only?

Otherwise the 2 1" intakes should work in my amateur opinion. :D

Yah the bit i am barrowing is only 1". But i could get Nyles to come over with his rotozip and we could make it larger, the intake on the dart is 2" is why i said 2".

TDH is total dynamic head. Thats your 3-4' plus any friction loss. two 1" in and out should work fine, just like 1 1/2". (Youll prob get a slight amount more water with one 1 1/2 though.)

I'm not trying to make this difficult really, I just hate seeing ppl buy these big pumps and try and shove water thru a straw. I see it all the time at work with irrigation systems and ppl using garden hoses.

Are you pulling out of the sump or directly out of the tank. If its out of the tank you dont need to figure that 3' lift, only friction loss vs if out of the sump, then you need to figure lift from that water level to the top discharge.

No i REALLY appreciate all your help here. I would like to save as much $$ as i can!

I am pulling directly out of the tank, that bottom bulkhead will be the intake.

So ideally if i increase the intake bulkhead to 2" (if i'm doing more drilling, i'm just gonna do it right) that should provide the pump with all the water it will take. Then on the output, i go 1.5" to the SS, reduce to 1" at the SS i should be able to get much more gph flow out of a dart or similar pump right???? I could also run a bypass right before the SS, Ting off and running one side of the T to the SS and the other into the tank (over the back) for additional flow.

Next problem!!! At those bulkheads, inside the tank, i will be reducing again to 3/4 to utilize locline for where i want the flow directed. This gonna pose another problem? I don't know that they make 1" locline.

Just so I follow you completely on the outflow of the SS.

Does it have water going on one line at a time, two at a time? etc etc. (Sorry, Im unsure how those work) If its two lines at a time then thats fine.

If you look at the curve on that pump, it can do 3600gph at 0' of TDH. Since your pulling directly out of the tank your at 0TDH other than friction loss thru the pipe. 2" in and then your 1 1/2 out would be ideal as long as the SS puts water out to two or more 1" lines. If it only puts water out to 1 line at a time then either you need a bigger SS or you need a smaller pump.

Edit: Sorry, bout the locline, the 3/4 will be fine cause again its a very short distance. You will however get pretty good velocity out of it. If the velocity coming out (or force) is too strong for you, then you would need to find some 1" ones.

Great, we are getting to the bottom of this! Thanks a ton for your help.

So approx how much flow can i get out of that dart? If i have 0' TDH and that thing is 3600gph, will the decrease in pipe size decrease the flow enough? The SS is only recommended at 2500gph. Or will i need a ball valve to throttle it back? If so i could start looking at lower flow pumps and save a few bucks.

Think that this much flow thru 1 2" bulkhead is gonna be tough on fish casually swimming by?

Youll prob want a screen of some sort, like those strainers. Youll need one large enough so it doesnt hurt the fish getting sucked against it. Maybe someone else knows of a screen that will work, I dont really deal in that stuff much.

Spa intake covers are the bomb. They can handle 4800 gph apiece and are super low profile...only stick out about a half inch...can hardly even see them against a black back.........

They come with a 1 1/2" MPT on them but i have broken that off and modded it to fit a one inch as well as used a adapter to make them fit 2" in the past

you can have your local spa place order them or do a google search online.....

DSC_1707.jpg

I believe a 90 is equal to 20' of pipe so you dont wanna go crazy with 90's either. (Ill have to check that' date=' cant remember)[/quote']

You can add 2 feet of head for every 90 and would be over guessing it some......i forget the formula, it also depends a little on what kind of pipe......i.e schedule 40 or 80, class 200, diameter etc..........i just figure a coupla feet and call it good

What do you do??? Irrigation type stuff??? I used to do some of that as well at golf courses. BIG pumps and or BIG pressure...fittings mean nothing to your plans :)

We do some big irrigation systems. (Largest Ive worked on is a 100hp pump)

Mostly do pump repairs, submirsibles for domestic water, water treatment. Also get into heating and air with our sister company.

right now I have a 47 stage 6" sub sitting on the floor for the DofDW that does about 500psi at 50gpm. :) The mechanical seal was 1500 bucks alone. Too bad it broke on replacement cause the shaft on the pump was so worn out.

Ok i'm not gonna go with the larger pump. Regardless of the strainer i don't think my 2" clown could swim past a hole sucking 2500gph and live.

I'll just use something 1000-1500gph and add a MJmod.

FWIW, those factory built spa intake covers do a great job.of distributing the pressure......ive NEVER had a fish get stuck to them and ive used them for a couple of years with flow rates like you mention. I dont jeep ANY big fish...all of my fish are 2-4".

Do what you want, but dont let that concern affect your pump choice.

Grrr, now you have me waivering again Bill!!!!!!! Having no pumps in the tank was something i wanted from the start.

I could also put something like an eggcrate box around the intake to aid in keeping fish away. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm