External pump for closed loop - help me decide

impur

I need to figure out what ext pump to get for my closed loop. I have 1" bulkheads in my tank and will be using an OM super squirt. I'd like to get as close to the 2500gph max flow the SS can handle. Can anyone give me suggestions on a pump? Most of the ones in this flow range use 1.5" intake/output, would any of them be ok reduced to 1"? The Dolphin pumps say this can be done on their website, any others that you know of?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the dart can as well........they are my favorite pumps of all time. Double check with someone on that though...i know you can reduce the output.....not positive about the input......if your tank is acryulic you could easily open up your intake bulkhead.......

DART. No other pump in that range will compare. DART. Im not sure of the reducing to 1" though. I know they can be throttled back' date=' but thats a little different. Later Ryan[/quote']

I think it would be ok to cut it down by .5", should be alright...I would do it...for the record...I have no proff that it would be ok, so if something goes wrong, not my fault.

2500gph is 40gpm. You will never get 40gpm thru a 1 inch line. You sorta need to figure in friction loss at a givin flow rate over your distance of hose or tubing. 1" would probably be ok for about 14gpm depending on how much head the pump can do. I have a friction loss chart (I do domestic and commercial pumping systems) but would need more info.

Lets put it this way, if you buy a 2500gph pump and put 1" on it your just defeating the whole purpose of buying that pump and not getting your moneys worth out of it. You could of just bought a much smaller pump and acheived the same result.

2500gph is 40gpm. You will never get 40gpm thru a 1 inch line. You sorta need to figure in friction loss at a givin flow rate over your distance of hose or tubing. 1" would probably be ok for about 14gpm depending on how much head the pump can do. I have a friction loss chart (I do domestic and commercial pumping systems) but would need more info.

Lets put it this way, if you buy a 2500gph pump and put 1" on it your just defeating the whole purpose of buying that pump and not getting your moneys worth out of it. You could of just bought a much smaller pump and acheived the same result.

Hmm good point. 14gpm is all you can get thru a 1" pipe? Wouldn't you need like 3 or 4" pipe to get 40gmp? Since the output on these pumps is 1.5", i would imagine you have to be able to get close to the given output on these pumps, and most are 2500gph or more. Would .5" larger pipe really triple the amount of flow thru the pipe?

here are a few number fyi.

.9 ID pipe at 15gpm loses 23' of head per 100'. At 40gpm it will take 150' of head to flow 40gpm thru 100' of pipe. (thats nearly 65psi at the pump) I know we dont run 100' but you still can do the math backwards from there. I believe a 90 is equal to 20' of pipe so you dont wanna go crazy with 90's either. (Ill have to check that, cant remember)

Hmm good point. 14gpm is all you can get thru a 1" pipe? Wouldn't you need like 3 or 4" pipe to get 40gmp?

No actually 1 1/2 ID at 40gpm only loss 13' of head per 100'. 13' = 5.62psi. (2.31 is your number to convert from Feet to psi)

Just to take your 3" figure fyi at the same 13' of head it will flow 240gpm

If you kept your single 1" really really short then youd prob/might be ok. But remember, now you have two outputs that do 15 each, but without seeing the curve on the pump I dont know. You cant run just a short 1 1/2 to the valve?

what size are you making the feed for the pump? (suction side)

Remember its by distance. I think youd be better off increasing right at the bulkhead to 1 1/2 and then the you could do 1" off your squirt. You just need a coupling with a slip x thread bushing.

Does it matter that i will have 2 1" outputs going at a time?

HAHA I was just going to ask you this.... tes it does, that should help. If you are running the cylinder with 2 at a time I think it would be feasible. You will just have some head pressure, the dart wont care.

ya I had to chech.. he has the cylinder that is plumbed for version 2 or 3

ok but the only inlet is 1", so you you would need 2 of those, or a smaller pump. Or... you could do a spraybar on the bottom with a ball valve and run another 1" line to that OM SS

Ok how about this. A few options.

Yes i could do 1.5" up to the SS, then reduce to 1" there.

What if i cut another 1" hole, have 2 1" intakes to a 2" Y. I know that 2 1" pipes don't equal 1 2", but it would help no? Another idea is to just cut the single 1" intake larger and make it 2". That might be the best at this point.

Or i'll just go with a 1000gph pump and settle for Seios in the display. Bleh.

Ok how about this. A few options.

Yes i could do 1.5" up to the SS, then reduce to 1" there.

What if i cut another 1" hole, have 2 1" intakes to a 2" Y. I know that 2 1" pipes don't equal 1 2", but it would help no? Another idea is to just cut the single 1" intake larger and make it 2". That might be the best at this point.

Or i'll just go with a 1000gph pump and settle for Seios in the display. Bleh.

I get what your saying. I think you only need 1 1/2, no need for 2". The y or tees is fine. Bigger is always better when it comes to plumbing. (Thats what she said right. LOL)

If you want, you can call me at work and I could just answer a heck of alot faster. lol

888-219-2399 and ask for Joe. :) (its slow today and I'm extra bored. )

HAHA I was just going to ask you this.... tes it does' date=' that should help. If you are running the cylinder with 2 at a time I think it would be feasible. You will just have some head pressure, the dart wont care.[/quote']

I wanted to see what a Dart does, and its recommendation is only 12' of head pressure. Thats very little actually and will get affected pretty fast on a performance curve at every 1' of head pressure.

I cant find a curve though for the pump itself.

oops, found one. As you can see, 12' is 0gph and 10' is 1200gph. You can only have 6' TDH to get your 2400gph.

http://www.saltycritter.com/pumps/sequence_reeflo.htm